Artemis I rollout to pad 3/17: I was there!

clovenpine

I've noticed some overlap between fish nerds and space nerds, so here's something y'all might find interesting

Yesterday at work I was detailed to support the Artemis I "mega moon rocket" on her trip from the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) aboard the Crawler-Transporter to the launchpad to prepare for Wet Dress Rehearsal. The trip takes about 12 hours with max speed 1mph. 

Artemis is hard down at the pad now. We'll load all fuel except for the final propellerant, check for any problems as a result of her slow processional, and run through launch sequences to test equipment and emergency safing. Then she'll head back to the VAB for updates and repairs to await the scheduled launch date, when we'll make the trek again and finally send her to the moon!

My job yesterday was to walk the crawlerway and "support communications." It was simultaneously exciting and incredibly tedious 😂. Enjoy some cell phone photos of our girl on her maiden voyage!

IMG_20220317_175605~2.jpg

IMG_20220317_180206.jpg

IMG_20220317_180700.jpg

IMG_20220317_191310.jpg

IMG_20220317_191313.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I was there for a shuttle launch as a kid and then for the last night launch of it. I can see most launch’s of the space rockets but not the smaller ones. I’m 240 miles away to the sw of it. This one failed. It was before they used people in them. 

11B0EE71-F986-4B02-AC2E-E9BFD77D707F.jpeg

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I'd say the shuttle launches are better, but that's likely because I support NASA and we hype our own stuff over the SpaceX ones. SpaceX does a lot more night and evening launches, and those are always more exciting to see. You should definitely consider making a trip to see the Artemis launch - it's history in the making!

• Like 2