What is your experience using salt in a heavy planted aquarium?

Hello all! I have a pretty heavy planted tank and some sick Endler fry (not ick, but larger white discoloration on sides and a few with a spot on their mouths/fins). I am looking to treat with Fritz A+ aquarium salt. Have you had any good results using salt? Aquarium Coop’s website mentions “Aquarium plants generally do not well with salt (or sodium chloride), but a concentration of 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water is generally considered to be safe.” I have seen a lot of mixed reactions regarding this and wanted to see if any one has had any good experiences/benefits. 

Tank: 20 gallon 

fish:
5 endlers  plus 10 fry,
cherry shrimp, 1 nerite and bladder snails

plants: Amazon sword, Java fern, dwarf sag, val, dwarf baby tears, mermaid weed, red root floaters 

Good for the fish, bad for the plants. If I have a fish that needs treatment I generally remove the fish to a quarantine tank, and then treat with salt and meds. If you decide to treat with it in the planted tank based on the safe level then I'd recommend looking at the water quality report from your local water utility first at any existing levels, also to consider if your water has been treated with any water softeners. Those are my two cents worth, but as I said I don't use salt in my planted tank, only in the set up quarantine tank.

• Like 2

I recently asked Cory during the early chat session of a live stream if he thinks you can get the salt up enough in a planted tank to treat anything before hurting the plants. His response:

"No"

That being said, I just put 2 cups of salt in my 100 gal high tech recently to see if it would help slow the ich outbreak I was suspecting and it knocked some of my plants back hard. My water wistyria really shed a few clumps. Amazon sword wasn't bothered. Anubias is fine. The crypts didn't care. Neither did the bba haha. My tds meter read over 1k ppm lol.

I won't say it didn't help but  after a week I did end up using med.

2 ich x treatments later and it's gone. 

• Like 1

some of the more delicate plants cant handle it well, but the hardy plants could care less about moderate amounts of salt. ive salted tanks for decades, and have always had at least some plants in them. heavy doses can for sure put the hurting on most plants. ive had anubia's never even notice high levels of salt while treating illness in a tank. the whole 1 grain of salt will nuke your plants is so over blown, its just not so. 

• Like 1

Most of my plants have been fine with 1tbsp per 5 gallons. I just recently had a fungal breakout like you mentioned and I used ich-x and maracyn in my planted tank. 5 days, no water changes, and all my plants survived. They seemed totally fine. Fish totally recovered.

Another combo: Nitrofurazone and kanamycin combo totally crippled my plants in my 75. I will never do that again.

• Like 1