Can the Ziss Egg Tumbler be used for eggs other than just African cichlids/corys/plecos?

B1gJ4k3

Success!

C1F621E2-0986-4139-BD0B-B8ADBE2125D8.jpeg.d5fe1bde49d19b1b724f653cb82562ed.jpeg

I’ve got a ton of angelfish fry that I’ve moved to a growout tray ala Dean’s fry boxes.

78833953-7623-4B6C-8E80-07282904A0D2.jpeg.d7d4c3220f7df3d4ff646324f57f786b.jpeg

I did get quite a few eggs that turned white and got fungus-y, but they were pretty easy (albeit tedious) to remove with a pair of planting tweezers. I tried to put some methalyne blue in there initially, but it obviously dispersed into the rest of the tank. I was also treating with the med trio at the time, so there was already some anti fungal in there. I guess there’s just no substitute for pulling the white eggs out because even with tumbling and multiple anti fungal meds, I still ended up with some.  

The thing that I found most interesting, though, was how fiercely the parents continued to defend the eggs, even when they were in the tumbler. They would puff up at the glass every time I walked by and would attack my hand whenever I took the tumbler out to remove white eggs or do anything in the tank.

All in all, I’m pretty happy with it. If nothing else, it’s much easier to corral all the fry rather than using a hatching jar like I have been. I’ve got rams that should be spawning soon, so I’ll attempt to get their eggs in there next and see how it goes. I wish it was a little easier to use some preventative meds on just the tumbler rather than treating the whole tank, but if I have to pull eggs anyway, it’s not too much of an issue. I think I’ll definitely put them in a separate tank to avoid stressing out the parents, though. But for how difficult it sounds like hatching angelfish eggs can be, I think it’s definitely worth it to use the tumbler. I might pick up another one the next time I need to place an ACO order. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 3/27/2022 at 8:24 AM, B1gJ4k3 said:

Let’s find out together, shall we? My new angelfish laid eggs in quarantine, so we’ll see how this goes.

I like the way you think! Reading the update now. I'm gonna just say (I think I already replied to this thread) but the answer should be 100% yeah you can for anything.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:39 PM, B1gJ4k3 said:

I tried to put some methalyne blue in there initially, but it obviously dispersed into the rest of the tank. I was also treating with the med trio at the time, so there was already some anti fungal in there.

did you add a dose for the full tank, just rely on what was already in the tank, or did you add a small bit to the ziss tumbler itself?

On 4/3/2022 at 9:39 PM, B1gJ4k3 said:

All in all, I’m pretty happy with it. If nothing else, it’s much easier to corral all the fry rather than using a hatching jar like I have been.

This is kind of what I've been thinking. Another option (just to mention) is the fluval branded hang-on breader boxes. it's a very old design, but it is a pretty good way to handle the situation.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

did you add a dose for the full tank, just rely on what was already in the tank, or did you add a small bit to the ziss tumbler itself?

I had Ich-X in there for the full volume of the tank for quarantine purposes and then once I started seeing some white, fungus-y eggs, I put just enough methalyne blue for the tumbler itself (a few drops). It pretty much immediately dispersed into the rest of the tank, so I didn't put any more in. It was good to see, though, to know that turnover in the tumbler is good and that it doesn't just keep recirculating he same small volume of water. I could probably have pulled it out of the water a little further so that it kept the medication in the tumbler, but I wouldn't have had as much overall circulation and tumbling.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This is kind of what I've been thinking. Another option (just to mention) is the fluval branded hang-on breader boxes. it's a very old design, but it is a pretty good way to handle the situation.

I had been looking at those as well, but I wasn't sure if one would be worth it. I've ended up with plenty of in-tank breeder boxes over the past year and I didn't know how much more one of the Fluval ones would buy me vs. the standard ones.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 9:45 AM, B1gJ4k3 said:

I had been looking at those as well, but I wasn't sure if one would be worth it. I've ended up with plenty of in-tank breeder boxes over the past year and I didn't know how much more one of the Fluval ones would buy me vs. the standard ones.

because it is a hang on variety, there's plenty of cool mods or methods to just made it a slow flow filter or polishing pad, plant box. etc.  There's some versatility there, but if you have the in tank ones you should be fine with what you have.