Fish Meds Combo question

SunniSki

On 3/17/2022 at 6:44 AM, SunniSki said:

Now I wonder if I made a typo…. I thought it was 5ppm but now that you say that… I think it should have been 10ppm  😩.  I’m testing my water again this morning and will insert a pic of the tube colors if I do not forget to take the picture.

Just looked at the test kit and the nitrate levels do start at 5.0 ppm so I didnt make a typo.  I will redo my all water parameter tests later.  I did purchase some Wondershells but I want to test the water before adding in the shells.

• Like 1

I just got my first nerite snails. Two of them appear to have some pitting on their shells. On my journal, the ever-helpful Brandon P made this post to give some ideas of repairing shell damage. 

It may help you to keep a spreadsheet with your parameter readings so you have an easy reference to look back on. I keep a google sheet so I can update it right at the tank. I have the date, test type, parameters, water change percentage, and notes column. Helps me keep track of when I do water changes, clean filters, add fish, plants etc. 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 11:08 AM, Minanora said:

I just got my first nerite snails. Two of them appear to have some pitting on their shells. On my journal, the ever-helpful Brandon P made this post to give some ideas of repairing shell damage. 

It may help you to keep a spreadsheet with your parameter readings so you have an easy reference to look back on. I keep a google sheet so I can update it right at the tank. I have the date, test type, parameters, water change percentage, and notes column. Helps me keep track of when I do water changes, clean filters, add fish, plants etc. 🙂

I do keep a note book with water parameters and when I change something like switching type of filter. I am going to have two experiments going soon. The moss substrate is started sort of but I’m still waiting on some part and I got the rest of the moss and the first set was about 4-5” tall but what came yesterday itvwas 10-12” high. I’m afraid to cut I it down to quickly. I took about 2.5-3” off the top. I have videos on YouTube and a journal on  here about it.

On 3/17/2022 at 5:48 AM, quikv6 said:

If I remember correctly, 10ppm was the lowest to visually see on the API nitrate test. 5ppm would be very difficult to see. Did you shake the bottle vigorously?

After reading the above, you recently showed ammonia, and are not showing Nitrates (or barely). I still believe it is a cycling issue.

You know what…. Ammonia is back up…. You are correct it’s NOW a cycling issue.  I was looking at all the meds I have been using and I do recall Paracleanse did mention that it could affect your biological filter.  I believe I actually did 4 rounds of it and I do believe it killed off everything good in my aquarium.  My tank has been established over a year and I have never had ammonia issues…. Welp…. Now I do. 😩 I’m super frustrated, the good thing I did notice is that now I see SOLID poop from many of my fish where before it was white and stringy.  Dang it…. I ordered some stability since I literally only had one capful left and that won’t do much.  

Hey SunniSki,

It was a cycling issue prior, when you had shown .5 ammonia. Given it's an established tank, measurable ammonia over duration usually indicates a bump in the cycle, unless it is coming directly from your tap water. These things happen, unfortunately.

I really doubt it's Paracleanse, as that should be Praziquantel and Metronidazole (parasite meds), and neither should have a negative impact on beneficial bacteria. I have personally used that med (as API General cure) many times, with no negative cycle impact. Also MetroPlex and Prazipro separately, as well. That doesn't mean it isn't possible, however. Maracyn has far more potential to harm good bacteria. (I can't remember if you used that as well).

Regardless, going forward, good clean water can do wonders, along with some aquarium salt. Stability is key.

On 3/17/2022 at 8:19 PM, quikv6 said:

Hey SunniSki,

It was a cycling issue prior, when you had shown .5 ammonia. Given it's an established tank, measurable ammonia over duration usually indicates a bump in the cycle, unless it is coming directly from your tap water. These things happen, unfortunately.

I really doubt it's Paracleanse, as that should be Praziquantel and Metronidazole (parasite meds), and neither should have a negative impact on beneficial bacteria. I have personally used that med (as API General cure) many times, with no negative cycle impact. Also MetroPlex and Prazipro separately, as well. That doesn't mean it isn't possible, however. Maracyn has far more potential to harm good bacteria. (I can't remember if you used that as well).

Regardless, going forward, good clean water can do wonders, along with some aquarium salt. Stability is key.

Actually I have been using Maracyn, I lost one fish already due to a fungus/infection and I have one still living that has a fungus so hopefully I can beat that fungus soon.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:29 AM, Colu said:

I would add some crushed coral to raise your kH and feed your snails some hikari shrimp cuisine or shrimp king snail stixx both have add calcium to help with shell growth

I purchased some Wondershells per a recommendation on an Aquarium Co Op video... Right now I have cycling issues in my tank... I am dealing with Ammonia spikes... with that... does anyone know if Wondershells can cause an imbalance or a bacterial bloom?  I saw this in some reviews but I take reviews with a grain of salt most times.  I just am hoping they wont cause any more issues than I'm dealing with. 

I feel I am the cause for the ammonia spikes in my tank, my canister filter had a ton of bladder snails and crap ton of eggs on all the trays, filter media and inside the canister... so I believe I "over-cleaned" my filter thinking it wouldn't matter since I have a sponge filter inside my tank and all the good bacteria all with-in my tank and gravel... Well I think I was WRONG... 😒 

I am waiting for a new bottle of Stability to hopefully move the cycling process along... ugh....

Don't beat yourself up....issues always arise. How you handle the issue is important, and it sounds like you are on the right track. Wondershells will raise GH, and crused coral will affent KH (and PH, in turn.) Neither will case any ammonia spike. With livebearers, both are good ideas.

On 3/15/2022 at 7:48 PM, SunniSki said:

I actually ordered some test strips today. 😊  I did previously have Cory’s and the white clouds flashing which I know are egg layers.  I’m going to just “watch” them for now and I should get the test strips tomorrow.  Today I added in some more of those calcium rocks that are supposed to help Shrimp and Snails.  

Now that I mentioned my snail, I noticed it has some holes that have started and the tip of its shell either dissolved away or chipped away, not completely but now the end is transparent . Scares me since I feel it may crack open at any time.  I would assume this is due to lack of minerals.

In my experience, the API test strips weren't accurate for Nitrite, Nitrate or Ammonia. Those only showed up on the test strips if they were very high so I used the liquid tests when testing for those three.