help I have no clue.

big bear

I have hornwart melting. it's floating the other plants seem to be fine. would low calcium cause this. I placed 2 med. wonder shells in the 55 gallon tank and after 2 weeks they are gone. I also have a cuddle bone in the tank but the wonder shells are totally gone.

thank for the help

It may be calcium. Hornwort likes to throw temper tantrums about everything.  How long has it been in that tank. My hornwort drops needles like crazy every time I move it to a new tank.  I use the same source water and do nothing to alter parameters but even those minor differences cause it to fuss.  

On 3/11/2022 at 4:48 PM, big bear said:

I have hornwart melting. it's floating the other plants seem to be fine. would low calcium cause this. I placed 2 med. wonder shells in the 55 gallon tank and after 2 weeks they are gone. I also have a cuddle bone in the tank but the wonder shells are totally gone.

thank for the help

Yes, hornwort is such a calcium hog, I use it for phytoremediation to address my liquid rock. It doesn't like anyone to touch it, move it, or possibly even look at it too long... Yet it grows in my tanks really well... once I leave it alone and ignore it long enough. If it's browning, the tank may be too warm. I have discovered it grows best in my cooler tanks.

As long as the central stem is green, it will grow back from that region. Try to be patient. I don't generally vacuum up the dropped "needles" unless I don't have any snails or shrimp in the tank, as they benefit from eating the calcium rich needles. (I have not always been this way, I was obsessive about a clean tank for several decades, and finally overcleaned one too many times and lost a tankful... then I found Cory and learned to appreciate algae, snails, "pests" etc... and fell back in love with aquarium keeping... or fell deeper in love? Whatever.. I am having fun!)

The longer I leave it alone, the better it grows....

T42022_03_11RT.jpg.bbc7343a7df3929385166a9899f4e605.jpg

• Love 1