Feeding fish when the light is off?

Karen B.

Greetings hi!

I was wondering if it’s ok to feed fish when the light is off - say one morning I have to leave early. Should I feed them before I leave and they are still technically « sleeping »? My lights are programmed to turn on at noon and off at 8pm

Same at night, if I get back later then usual… do I feed them even if the light is off? Or should I turn on the light, feed them, and turn off the light?

I have bettas, Clown killies, honey gourami, Chili Rasbora, otocinclus corydoras and shrimps.

Thank you!

I dont think any problems would occur by feeding when the lights are out. I dont know if the fish would be finding the food cuz they could be sleeping so it could rot and cause amonia in the tank.

My thought would be to feed them once a day when you get home. If you get home late thats fine, they can go several days maybe a couple weeks without food.

• Like 1

The otocinclus corydoras and shrimps will have no problems eating in the dark. Cory and shrimp use smell and feel to find food. 
While fish do not sleep in the same way that land mammals sleep, most fish do rest. Research shows that fish may reduce their activity and metabolism while remaining alert to danger. Some fish float in place, some wedge themselves into a secure spot in the mud or coral, and some even locate a suitable”

NOAA quote. 

I would not feed. In an established tank there is a ton of munch things and micro fauna we cannot see but they can.  As said they can go a few days without issue. Whereas lesser water quality and not good bacteria fungus etc growing on the degrading food will cause issue. Food does not appear at predetermined intervals in the wild. So getting off schedule or missing a feeding or a day feeding just is not an issue in an established tank. Folks go on vacation for a week without issue and no feeding. This video may be helpful and set your mind at ease. 

On 3/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, Karen B. said:

Greetings hi!

I was wondering if it’s ok to feed fish when the light is off - say one morning I have to leave early. Should I feed them before I leave and they are still technically « sleeping »? My lights are programmed to turn on at noon and off at 8pm

Same at night, if I get back later then usual… do I feed them even if the light is off? Or should I turn on the light, feed them, and turn off the light?

I have bettas, Clown killies, honey gourami, Chili Rasbora, otocinclus corydoras and shrimps.

Thank you!

Depends on the fish, the ambient light in the room, and the general demeanor of the tank. My spouse's tank? The endlers insist on being fed, or they will hunt fry and snail antennae. My Walstad inspired tank? There are enough amphipods and blackworms, plus snail eggs, the fish always have something to snack on.

Ambient light in a room means you don't have to turn on tank lights. I recommend everyone feed at least once a week either before lights turn on, or shortly after lights turn off, it's a completely different type of feeding experience. Cell phone flashlights show a whole different environment in the tank at night.

• Like 3