Anubia nana petite question

Greetings group!

Currently in the process of building up my last (sniffsniff) tank that should house 3 ou 4 pea puffers. It’s a 10 gallons. I had that vision to build a tree with anubia barteri and anubia nana petite. The result isn’t exactly what I was hoping for but for my skills, it will do. (The big leaves are also a bit low because I « stored » the tree upside down in another aquarium for a week until I received my stand and they moved to the light)

12A2FB8B-FCE6-4290-8330-C3B94EEACD3C.jpeg.13455e6e79c8e79dfdeb56270ae6e31a.jpeg

My question is regarding the nana petite. I took them out of the pot, and glued them on the branch without separating the plant in little bunch and I am wondering if it will « stunt » its growth or if leaves will die due to lack of space or being too bunched together?
C45AC107-7A2B-4D52-B103-108B6D8F129E.jpeg.b7736c019b08dbdb891d2addada8e296.jpeg

BC0753AD-3C11-4091-9F97-4559A4E66DF8.jpeg.9d1122f6dbe0939a3a5ef81465b0f334.jpeg

17D61018-AFF8-40F0-9BFF-A4F0ECAE5DDC.jpeg.50c511778559797eec6f8527db8ad35a.jpeg

Thank you!

• Like 2

A Truffula Tree I love it!  It will grow in lovely. I did not separate my nana petite and it did wonderful. I actually broke a piece of rhizome with no leaves off and it eventually grew leaves. My imagination envisions my projects as Leonardo da Vinci woks of art.  What I end up with is usually Sesame Street. You did a great job! I can’t wait to see it grow in. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I would say it should be just fine - the overall environment that they are in will play a much more impactful role in the overall health of the anubias; things like light and fertilizer. Sure every leaf will not be as efficient as possible right now, but anubias is not a fast growing plant. Overtime, and as things grow, the plant will naturally put its leaves where it wants them to be. On top of that, anubias is known for being hardy so I really don't think you have anything to worry about. 

I'm actually doing something of an experiment right now with anubias, I have about half a dozen different types in a tank that is getting extremely minimal light, and seeing how it affects the growth. It's been two weeks and most strains barely have a single leaf that has gone yellow - I believe that it's an extremely hardly plant. I've only every lost one to anubias rot. 

As for the aquascape, I think that once you give it a little time and it starts to grow in you will be a lot happier with it, I think what would go a long way is some other accents in the tank around the foreground. Maybe even some dwarf sag around that can grow around it, extra plants to break up the line of sight between the puffers is also a good thing. If you don't want to go down the side of more plants, I think even a couple of good stones (around the base of the wood, to make it look like the wood is coming out of the stones) would go a long way in making it have more depth, even small accent stones littered across the black substrate would benefit the scape in my opinion.  Good luck and have fun!

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 3:16 PM, Guppysnail said:

A Truffula Tree I love it!  It will grow in lovely. I did not separate my nana petite and it did wonderful. I actually broke a piece of rhizome with no leaves off and it eventually grew leaves. My imagination envisions my projects as Leonardo da Vinci woks of art.  What I end up with is usually Sesame Street. You did a great job! I can’t wait to see it grow in. 

Thank you, that’s really nice of you to say!!

On 3/6/2022 at 3:21 PM, Tyler Kaplan said:

I would say it should be just fine - the overall environment that they are in will play a much more impactful role in the overall health of the anubias; things like light and fertilizer. Sure every leaf will not be as efficient as possible right now, but anubias is not a fast growing plant. Overtime, and as things grow, the plant will naturally put its leaves where it wants them to be. On top of that, anubias is known for being hardy so I really don't think you have anything to worry about. 

I'm actually doing something of an experiment right now with anubias, I have about half a dozen different types in a tank that is getting extremely minimal light, and seeing how it affects the growth. It's been two weeks and most strains barely have a single leaf that has gone yellow - I believe that it's an extremely hardly plant. I've only every lost one to anubias rot. 

As for the aquascape, I think that once you give it a little time and it starts to grow in you will be a lot happier with it, I think what would go a long way is some other accents in the tank around the foreground. Maybe even some dwarf sag around that can grow around it, extra plants to break up the line of sight between the puffers is also a good thing. If you don't want to go down the side of more plants, I think even a couple of good stones (around the base of the wood, to make it look like the wood is coming out of the stones) would go a long way in making it have more depth, even small accent stones littered across the black substrate would benefit the scape in my opinion.  Good luck and have fun!

Ah! You read my mind about the stones… I bought a bunch of dragon stone, can’t wait to see how it turns out. And my plants are finally done their 2 weeks quarantine so I can start placing them as well. I was just in a hurry to place the tree as such a big piece is not easy to store, especially when I was too impatient and glued the anubias right away 🤪 (hence why it was upside down in another aquarium for a week, hehe)

On 3/6/2022 at 3:16 PM, Guppysnail said:My imagination envisions my projects as Leonardo da Vinci woks of art.  What I end up with is usually Sesame Street. You did a great job! I can’t wait to see it grow in. 

Best quote ever!!!! 😂😂😂