How Many Plants?

Is there a "Magic Rule" or some method that you use to determine how many plants to get for a planted tank?  I have a 75 gallon I want to set up for my Leppard Bush fish which will love a heavily planted tank to swim through, but I just don't know how many plants to get.  I figured I would use some Large Amazon Swords, to give them quick cover to play in and some Anubis (because I Love it).  Stem plants don't seem to do great in my water but I will be using Eco-complete with a sand cap so maybe that will make a difference instead of just sand only substrate.  Any suggestions, pictures, or shopping lists would be great 😃  

I don't think there is a rule. Even if you got a single sword, as long as it thrived it will have baby swords, and soon you'll have more swords than you'll know what to do with. So it's a matter of how long you are will to wait vs how much you are willing to spend. 

A third plant i would consider is valisneria. It will give you the effect you want of the fish swimming through plants. Three pots will give you 10-15 individual plants, with will cover the whole tank within a few months.

• Like 2

The general rule is the more the better, particularly fast growing plants which will help battle algea. It will be challenging to start with 1 sword and slow growing anubis. Instead, id start with lots of easy fast growing stems, a sword, some crypts and water sprite. Then once that get established add your slow growers planted in the shade your taller plants provide. 

• Thanks 1

From my research, 70% planted seems to be the low end recommendation. 

If you are looking for a bullet proof stem plant, get Hygrophila Polysperma. Fast growing beautiful stem that's easily propagated. I would buy at least 12 stems to make a nice bush. Pearl Weeds will work to and can be used as a foreground plant.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1