I have been initiated into the snail world

Cinnebuns

On 3/3/2022 at 8:27 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I have now officially smelled the stench if a dead snail. One more badge on the aquarium keeping stash. Now if I can only get the smell off of my hands I might get another badge. 

Congratulations on the new badge.

Wash your hands using tooth paste instead of soap.  It works wonders.  I learned that trick about 50 years ago when I'd been cleaning fish (the eating kind, not the aquarium kind).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Stainless scrubber pads work well too. There is a chemical called be go that if you get on your hands not one will come a 100 ft of you. We used to scrub up with them and it takes the smell a away. It also works for onion smell if you are the guys that cuts onions. Don’t use soap until the smell is gone first then soap 

I bought some snails on EBay from a highly rated seller that sold a lot of them.  Figuring that they'd have good packaging/heating included since it was mid-winter.  They shipped it snail mail (pun intended).  Took like 10 days to get here.  

I could smell it in the mail box from about eight feet.  And even knowing they were all going to be dead, I still opened them up because that seemed like the right thing to do.

Toothpaste is a decent way of dealing with it, though I am not convinced that it actually cleans anything off better than anything else.  I think it just also masks the smell a little.

On 3/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, Brandon p said:

er pads work well too. There is a chemical called be go that if you get on your hands not one will come a 100 ft of you. We used to scrub up with them and it takes the smell a away. It also works for onion smell if you are the guys that cuts onions. Don’t use soap until the smell is gone first then soap 

Bee-Go for pushing bees out of honey supers?  Smells like bottled vomit?

They also have those stainless "bars of soap".  I can't say that I've ever used one.

Edited by jwcarlson

On 3/3/2022 at 1:23 PM, jwcarlson said:

I could smell it in the mail box from about eight feet.  And even knowing they were all going to be dead, I still opened them up because that seemed like the right thing to do.

Wow I don't feel so bad about my experience now lol. This was also an ebay mail experience. I ordered 5 with free shipping. I was given 8 adults and 7 babies. Even with the 1 that died that's a pretty good deal. 

• Like 1