If you had a guppy breeding do-over...

PineSong

If you have something you wish you got to do over and do differently when it comes to breeding guppies, what would it be?

I would start out with a strain of guppy where the males and females are easier to tell apart at an earlier age.

I've watched several youtube videos where there are clear differences in male v female coloration as early as 4 to 6 weeks. Meanwhile, I have two varieties where bodies are clear yellow or white well into the third month and there is no darkness to the gravid spot except in heavily pregnant females. The first sign of maleness is often the gonopodium, and I put the plain white or yellow male in the male tank and voila, they start to color up. For safety's sake, I wish it was the other way around--color first, gonopodium second!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 10:33 PM, lefty o said:

id have started with dragon guppies much much sooner. vs playing with other strains, and mutts. i just like the dragons better.

I did start with dragons!  Twisies! Although I kinda fell I into it, I don't regret it. At least so far lol. Originally I wanted to do purple lace until I realized how unstable purple is. I already had a red dragon male so figured I would just get him some dragon females. Was going to do red dragon females too till I had an aha moment. Blue is recessive to dominant red. So I got blue dragon females so I can get some of both colors!  Still haven't decided how seriously I will line breed and therefore have to possibly cull one color or the other, but for now I'm enjoying taking the cories more seriously anyway so the guppies can be more casual. 100s of babies "casual" lol

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, JettsPapa said:

I wouldn't have started with dumbo mosaics.  They're beautiful fish, and do well for me, but I'm not a fan of the overly large tails.

I've only seen dumbos online, not in person. Do you feel the large pectorals help or hinder them?

I would not have added all 13 girls to a tank and left them get cozy before introducing males. That means I now have 13 girls dropping HOARDES of fry all the same week 😳 I wish I had staggered them because as they grow they crowd. It would be nice to haul a few of the oldest each week or so to the legs instead of mass haul bare tanks overcrowding tanks mass haul then the cycle repeats. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 7:06 PM, Guppysnail said:

I would not have added all 13 girls to a tank and left them get cozy before introducing males. 

13!! I have seven ginga sulphureus ladies popping out fry every few minutes and I feel inundated, so I can only imagine 13. Love how we live and learn, lol.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, Guppysnail said:

I would not have added all 13 girls to a tank and left them get cozy before introducing males. That means I now have 13 girls dropping HOARDES of fry all the same week 😳 I wish I had staggered them because as they grow they crowd. It would be nice to haul a few of the oldest each week or so to the legs instead of mass haul bare tanks overcrowding tanks mass haul then the cycle repeats. 

This. Yeah, this. My group was a little smaller, 9 at one point. Now that you say "hordes" I'm pretty sure I'm going to walk in to see the females and my brain will go "zug zug" every time I see them. Gamer humor.

I would also go back and ignore the advice of people saying to raise the temps to 80, feed super frequently, low current. I see these practices as "Okay" for trying to pump out tons of guppies to sell.... but it's just not great practice, ime. I did that for a minute, and I wouldn't do it even as a professional breeder. I want my fish to be super healthy, not just showy and quick growing.

To me, if you get fish from me, yeah, my fry took 17 weeks to "grow out", but they're strong, they're healthy and will live a long time. I have had parent guppies that degraded quickly, vs their fry that live twice as long, have no muscle issues and thrive.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/1/2022 at 1:43 PM, Minanora said:

This. Yeah, this. My group was a little smaller, 9 at one point. Now that you say "hordes" I'm pretty sure I'm going to walk in to see the females and my brain will go "zug zug" every time I see them. Gamer humor.

I would also go back and ignore the advice of people saying to raise the temps to 80, feed super frequently, low current. I see these practices as "Okay" for trying to pump out tons of guppies to sell.... but it's just not great practice, ime. I did that for a minute, and I wouldn't do it even as a professional breeder. I want my fish to be super healthy, not just showy and quick growing.

To me, if you get fish from me, yeah, my fry took 17 weeks to "grow out", but they're strong, they're healthy and will live a long time. I have had parent guppies that degraded quickly, vs their fry that live twice as long, have no muscle issues and thrive.

I could not agree more with the health aspect. It also takes mine many months girls especially  to grow out but it shows in them. Even the if’s was amazed. They said when they order none ever look as colorful robust and well built. Quality vs quantity…could someone explain to mine I don’t need THAT much quantity please 🤣

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, Minanora said:

amen! 72-76 is great for guppies.

• Like 1