Substrate Divider Suggestions

Jennifer V

Hi All! 

For my next tank (20 gallon long), I'd love to have a sand beach for my cories surrounded by another substrate. Thinking eco complete and maybe some gravel. What kinds of dividers have you used to keep the sand separate from the other substrate as best you can? 

Pictures of your setups would help too! 

Edited by Jennifer V

Well, one thing I will say is that if you are doing it for the corydoras, it’s not necessary. As seen in some of Aquariumcoop’s videos, in the wild, they live on rocks. As far as dividing the substrate goes, I’ve always put the heavier stuff in first, filled the tank up a little, like just an inch or two, and then put the lighter stuff like the sand in the area I want. The water helps to bind it a little so it’s easier to work with

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 8:22 AM, MickS77 said:

I've used this in the past, works great. By cutting one face of the board, parallel with the ribs, but not cutting all the way through the board, allows the board to be bent into any curved shape. 

image.png.13c7aa96665c76e985c02aaef034eb39.png

Cool! So do you just make kind of a semi circle and add the sand on top? Are there any sharp edges? 

On 2/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, Beau Burkhalter said:

Well, one thing I will say is that if you are doing it for the corydoras, it’s not necessary. As seen in some of Aquariumcoop’s videos, in the wild, they live on rocks.

I didn't know that! I tend to research ad nauseam at times, which usually just lands me in total confusion. Ha! 

• Like 1