Help me pick the filter

BabyShark

Hi, here I'm again with another help topic. 

I'm currently running a fish less cycle. The filter I own is fluval u2. Although I have a feeling that it'll be too strong for the fish I'll add in the tank. I might replace the fluval u2 with the conventional sponge filter. 

To add to my confusion I'm now finding sponge filter with bio chemical filter. See pictures below. 

My question is does it really make a difference? Does it provide cleaner tank and do a better job? 

Thanks. 

Screenshot_20220221-202251.png

Edited by BabyShark

Lot to unpack here.  Recommend u stay the course with your current filter until the cycle is well established.  Making changes when you are cycling a tank kinda resets the clock.

what size tank are you setting up?

in my opinion, the little ceramic beads in the filter you show does not do a lot of good. Most of the bio filtering is in the sponge anyhow.  Won’t hurt, but doesn’t really help much.  Additionally, the very fine sponge will clog quickly.   So I would pass on it.  

AFTER you cycle, you could try the ACO sponge filter.  The sponge is more course, and they work well. I run them in all my tanks in addition to the HOB filter.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 8:43 PM, Colu said:

I have used a fluval u3 in a 50 gallon it did have a lot of flow you can a just it so it comes though the long middle section to reduce the flow a bit

This is what I have it running at, still feels a bit strong. Maybe I am overthinking.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:46 PM, Colu said:

How big is your tank as the u2 is rated for 30 gallon as long as you have some were out of the flow for your fish to rest a don't think it will be a problem

It is a 20 gallon tank. On the box of U2 it says up to 30 gallons

I am also thinking that u2 maybe an overkill since I am gonna have some shrimps and corydora at the bottom as well. I do have live plants as well. 

On 2/22/2022 at 1:55 AM, BabyShark said:

It is a 20 gallon tank. On the box of U2 it says up to 30 gallons

I am also thinking that u2 maybe an overkill since I am gonna have some shrimps and corydora at the bottom as well. I do have live plants as well. 

A sponge filter might be better if your having shrimp what I would do is add the sponge filter and run it a long side of the u2 filter till your tank cycle them remove the other filter the one in the picture should work fine am not sure how effective the bio media would be or you could try a co-op course sponge filter 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:00 PM, Colu said:

A sponge filter might be better if your having shrimp what I would do is add the sponge filter and run it a long side of the u2 filter till your tank cycle them remove the other filter the one in the picture should work fine am not sure how effective the bio media would be or you could try a co-op course sponge filter 

What if I don't add shrimps?

On 2/21/2022 at 10:25 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

IMO that thing is a sponge filter with worthless rocks under it. 

Try like super course foam instead of the rocks. 

The key to filter size is more of how many fish you will have (tank load, stocking) than gallons of water. Although you do need enough flow to keep the tank circulating well of course. 

Does the foam filter creates the circulation? Because U2 is doing a decent job with circulation I see water is constantly moving and so does my mystery snails.

On 2/22/2022 at 6:50 AM, BabyShark said:

Does the foam filter creates the circulation? Because U2 is doing a decent job with circulation I see water is constantly moving and so does my mystery snails.

Sorry was referring to the thing with two sponges. My bad. I don't know how that in tank one is set up, but I'm sure it has a small powerhead running it.

Ok I looked it up, it also has useless fluval "rocks" the white things. If you must use that fill it with coarse foam instead of the pads and little white rocks. 

Cory has a great video on youtube about optimizing hang on back filters with foam. You could apply that to this thing too. If you put foam in in place of the pads and rocks it will not hurt your cycle much because you still have the old foam in there with benifitial bacteria on it. Also you won't have to buy new pads, just rinse in tank water when they get plugged up. Cheaper to run and more efficient too, a win win.

Here is that video:

On 2/22/2022 at 12:38 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Sorry was referring to the thing with two sponges. My bad. I don't know how that in tank one is set up, but I'm sure it has a small powerhead running it.

Ok I looked it up, it also has useless fluval "rocks" the white things. If you must use that fill it with coarse foam instead of the pads and little white rocks. 

Cory has a great video on youtube about optimizing hang on back filters with foam. You could apply that to this thing too. If you put foam in in place of the pads and rocks it will not hurt your cycle much because you still have the old foam in there with benifitial bacteria on it. Also you won't have to buy new pads, just rinse in tank water when they get plugged up. Cheaper to run and more efficient too, a win win.

Here is that video:

Make sense!

I guess what I need to figure out at this point is that should I replace my U2 with a sponge filter (with or without rocks)?

Does the sponge filter itself provides water circulation? 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:58 AM, BabyShark said:

Make sense!

I guess what I need to figure out at this point is that should I replace my U2 with a sponge filter (with or without rocks)?

Does the sponge filter itself provides water circulation? 

I think I would consider two sponge filters for that little tank. One in each back corner as an example. Get the largest ones that you can stand too look at. 🙂 just run them with a decent size air pump and you will get aeration too. Perfect.

I guess try to visualize the amount of foam compared to the other filter, the more the better. 

I think I would consider a good size HOB filter, one that you could easily fill with foam like in Cory's video. It would be way easier to clean too. Put a foam piece on the intake to make it shrimp safe.  You would of course need an air stone for air with this setup, where as the sponge has it built in. 

Yes, the sponge filters flow just fine, they use air in the uplift tube to provide the water flow.   

So many decisions.....

I did lots of research and finally ended up with a canister filter on my 90 gallon, filled every tray with foam, it works great! I don't know if there is a small one for your 20 gallon though. They pump lots of water. 

My two cents, I am a newb so take it for what it's worth.  I have a 20 gallon high with platys and otos.   I'm running a Tidal 35 and a nano size sponge filter with airstone from ACO.   The filters are definitely keeping the water clean and the tidal has adjustable flow and plenty of space in the little basket for filter media. It comes with a sponge and some Seachem Matrix.  I added some filter floss too.   One thing I really like is that the filter does not extend way into the tank so it doesn't suck up smaller fry or create too much current, but there is plenty of surface agitation.  Between the two, there is plenty of surface for bacteria to grow, both filters are a breeze to maintain, and my tank cycled pretty fast (about 3 weeks) so something went right.   (salute to the experts who talked me down when I had a bacterial bloom during week 1)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 10:12 AM, PaigeIs said:

My two cents, I am a newb so take it for what it's worth.  I have a 20 gallon high with platys and otos.   I'm running a Tidal 35 and a nano size sponge filter with airstone from ACO.   The filters are definitely keeping the water clean and the tidal has adjustable flow and plenty of space in the little basket for filter media. It comes with a sponge and some Seachem Matrix.  I added some filter floss too.   One thing I really like is that the filter does not extend way into the tank so it doesn't suck up smaller fry or create too much current, but there is plenty of surface agitation.  Between the two, there is plenty of surface for bacteria to grow, both filters are a breeze to maintain, and my tank cycled pretty fast (about 3 weeks) so something went right.   (salute to the experts who talked me down when I had a bacterial bloom during week 1)

Yes, I like the Tidals too. They have the pump in the water so they don't loose prime and they flow bottom to top with lots of filter area like you said.

The only thing that I don't like is that surface skimmer, you can't turn it off and it seems to me it would circulate lots of just filtered water right there. (not a huge deal though)

I had a 110, that is the one I'm referring to. I'm assuming the smaller ones are the same. 

Anyway, with that and the sponge seems like a good combo to me. 

My 10 gallon betta tank has a sponge filter and a tidal 35. I baffle the tidal filter with sponge. Overkill? Yes, but I can use the sponge filter for a new tank or a quarantine tank.  The tidal runs with the sponge and matrix it came with, leaving me room for chemical filtration if needed.

You can always stuff some fine filter pad or poly fill in there too.

Just few order placing the order of https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B010PRHDWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&tag=tank01-20 I cancelled it and order this instead https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000260FVG?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

I did not want the sponge filter for two reasons one is that I would have to put two of them which will mess up the aesthetics and second the noise from the air pump is annoying. 

The hang back filter seems to be solving all the issues.

Stayed up till 3 AM trying to fig out which filter to order. Phew!

On 2/22/2022 at 1:10 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

I think I would consider two sponge filters for that little tank. One in each back corner as an example. Get the largest ones that you can stand too look at. 🙂 just run them with a decent size air pump and you will get aeration too. Perfect.

I guess try to visualize the amount of foam compared to the other filter, the more the better. 

I think I would consider a good size HOB filter, one that you could easily fill with foam like in Cory's video. It would be way easier to clean too. Put a foam piece on the intake to make it shrimp safe.  You would of course need an air stone for air with this setup, where as the sponge has it built in. 

Yes, the sponge filters flow just fine, they use air in the uplift tube to provide the water flow.   

So many decisions.....

I did lots of research and finally ended up with a canister filter on my 90 gallon, filled every tray with foam, it works great! I don't know if there is a small one for your 20 gallon though. They pump lots of water. 

Why does one need air stone with HOB filter? Doesn't HOB filter provides oxygen with the water flow and surface movements?

Or am I missing something here.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:48 AM, BabyShark said:

Just few order placing the order of https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B010PRHDWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&tag=tank01-20 I cancelled it and order this instead https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000260FVG?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

I did not want the sponge filter for two reasons one is that I would have to put two of them which will mess up the aesthetics and second the noise from the air pump is annoying. 

The hang back filter seems to be solving all the issues.

Stayed up till 3 AM trying to fig out which filter to order. Phew!

Why does one need air stone with HOB filter? Doesn't HOB filter provides oxygen with the water flow and surface movements?

Or am I missing something here.

I think you will be good with that filter, just use coarse foam in it (as much as possible). Put it in place of that carbon and biomax stuff. It will save you money and give you better biofiltration.  

Yes movement of the water does provide oxygen, it's hard to say how much though. I just like overkill on the O2 with lots of air just in case, you know? 

You could try one of those tiny USB ones, they are cheap and silent. It is amazing how much air they put out. I see Cory sells them here, I got one on Amazon for using with my hospital tank. 

Did I post this yet? Cory's video on optimizing HOB filters? Check it out!

On 2/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

I think you will be good with that filter, just use coarse foam in it (as much as possible). Put it in place of that carbon and biomax stuff. It will save you money and give you better biofiltration.  

Yes movement of the water does provide oxygen, it's hard to say how much though. I just like overkill on the O2 with lots of air just in case, you know? 

You could try one of those tiny USB ones, they are cheap and silent. It is amazing how much air they put out. I see Cory sells them here, I got one on Amazon for using with my hospital tank. 

Did I post this yet? Cory's video on optimizing HOB filters? Check it out!

OK. I removed the sponge filter from the u2 and put it in the aqua clear along with the sponge it came with. I also mixed up the white rocks from u2 with the ones that came with the aqua clear. Which I will remove later. I only kept them because of all the nitrifying bacteria it might be carrying. 

I'm running it at the lowest settings. Since the flow is moving all my background plants. I now have little empty space between my background plants 😞

I also notice some algae in the tank this morning. Forgot to plug in the filter last night after a little adjustment with decor. 

I will continue to monitor the tank tomorrow. 

• Like 1