Question Proper phosphate levels

What is the proper amount of phosphate in the tank not dosing please. Assuming all other macros and micros are available in low tech tank using cheap Amazon hygger light (white feature use only I don’t use the red or blue)

1. to avoid green spot algae 

2. proper plant growth (no need for acceleration just proper)

I use this test

Thanks plant nerms 😁

89CFECEC-9F48-4319-B772-991448D62563.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
Forgot pic

On 2/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, Torrey said:

That is helpful @Mmiller2001!

Is there an algae that is more likely to grow if there's too much phosphate in the tank?

According to Tom Barr (and others), fertilizers do not cause algae. Many test have been done to confirm this. People have also dosed 10x EI dosing and the only thing they reported was that plants grew faster.

• Love 2

On 2/22/2022 at 12:44 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

According to Tom Barr (and others), fertilizers do not cause algae. Many test have been done to confirm this. People have also dosed 10x EI dosing and the only thing they reported was that plants grew faster.

@Torrey you and I have spoken about my chemical fears and how they affect fish. Thanks to your tutorials I’m braving a few individual elements (hopefully the purigen I just ordered helps keep the organic waste nitrates down a bit since my tap is so bad) 

How does phosphate affect fish please?  I hear about phosphate harming fish when they get into natural waterways. Is that a different type of phosphate or just a seriously high concentration?  Do you know at what levels it would be harmful?

Edited by Guppysnail

I only have this paper that my stepmom had sent me, @Guppysnail

On 2/22/2022 at 11:40 AM, Torrey said:

I only have this paper that my stepmom had sent me, @Guppysnail

Until we know what baselines, precontact, were for a lot of our current 'domesticated' species, it's a bit hard to identify what levels are "too high" on a species by species basis.

The information from Miller, combined with the data from modified lung, on top of my recent testing of my tap water, I am beginning to suspect that the problem wasn't the food source change in phosphates...

It was a water supply change.

• Love 1

Got it. So what Im understanding that article is the phosphate is not directly harmful but it is the eutrophication (had to look that up 🤣) algae and plant growth using up the o2 and releasing co2 suffocating fish. Hope I understood. That was a tough but cool read. I really appreciate it. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Typo

On 2/22/2022 at 2:46 AM, Guppysnail said:

I hear about phosphate harming fish when they get into natural waterways. Is that a different type of phosphate or just a seriously high concentration

Our aquariums will not be near the magnitude that's dumped into our natural systems. 

I don't know if this is completely true but I read that it would take a thousand years for the earth to consume the amount of fertilizer we put into our natural systems.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 12:00 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Our aquariums will not be near the magnitude that's dumped into our natural systems. 

I don't know if this is completely true but I read that it would take a thousand years for the earth to consume the amount of fertilizer we put into our natural systems.

Miller, if I am understanding what I am currently being taught, it doesn't have to take a thousand years to heal the damage to the waterways and the land that pride has damaged. It will, however, require a lot more people willing to change. 

Getting sufficient numbers of people who want to change may take a thousand years 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

On 2/21/2022 at 1:50 PM, AndreaW said:

I don't have an answer but I'm jealous of your testing rack! All my tests are shoved in a plastic Tupperware container! :classic_happy:

I was thinking the same thing 😂. I was almost temped to start a thread called 'show us your rack' (meaning your easy access tank supplies) but I wasn't sure how that would be received here! As for the original question, I have no idea, until I find a cheap easy phosphate test strip ill probably stay away! Aquariumcoop has ruined me with their strips. I wont go back to bottles again! Btw, heres my rack 😂

20220223_092654.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/23/2022 at 7:32 AM, JoeQ said:

I was thinking the same thing 😂. I was almost temped to start a thread called 'show us your rack' (meaning your easy access tank supplies) but I wasn't sure how that would be received here!

I say do it! I'm always interested to see how people manage their supplies. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 2:16 AM, Torrey said:

Miller, if I am understanding what I am currently being taught, it doesn't have to take a thousand years to heal the damage to the waterways and the land that pride has damaged. It will, however, require a lot more people willing to change. 

Getting sufficient numbers of people who want to change may take a thousand years 🤷‍♂️

Not to change it or heal it, but for plants to actually consume the amount of nutrients we have pumped into the systems. They may have said 100 years, but I swear it was 1000. But don't quote me! 😁

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1