The goldfish haven't left yet ...

KittenFishMom

Well, I fell in love with a half cylinder 9 gallon tank on craigslist. It was only $10 and came with a hood, light, filter, gravel and decor. Oh and at the last minute, the 3 goldfish that were in the tank. I told the seller I didn't want the goldfish, but the person that was going to take them backed out on her. I really wanted the tank for my betta, so I said "no problem, I will find a home for them."

And I did find someone who was happy to take the goldfish in a week or so. It has been a week, and that person hasn't gotten back to me, so it is back to the drawing board. (I don't want to pester this person and push the fish on him. If he isn't showing interest in getting the fish, I don't imaging he will show interest in caring for them.)

In the mean time I have been feeding them Xtreme flakes and pellets, bbs, a bit of betta food, and a bunch of snails. I put some snails in the tank for the algae control, because it is not a planted tank. I didn't know goldfish liked snails so much. 

I am open to any advice on caring for the goldfish while I have them.

I will rehome the goldfish as soon as I find a good home for them. In the mean time, I think I would like to find a "clean up crew" tank mate for them. Goldfish are messy. What would be a good tankmate for the goldfish to help keep the tank cleaner until they find their new home? 

One of the goldfish is a brighter orange and has a very nice long forked tail. The other 2 have normal tails. one is orange, the other is white with orange splotches.

I look forward to hearing from you.

If you happen to live near NJ I will take them, I always have a home for goldfish. I like snails as a clean up crew for goldfish however they are actually very good at cleaning up after themselves anyway, what type of mess is being left behind? You may come to find you actually really enjoy the goldfish if you give them a chance 😇😉

• Like 2

I kept some garras with my goldfish they got on ok, but as said goldfish eat everything so they are their own clean up crew, some people try hill stream loaches but I found they triggered to much curiosity in my goldfish and didn't have the best time (he just liked to pull them off the glass).  

Are they comets? if so pond people might take them on for you. 

• Like 1

I do like them. They are very beautiful and graceful, but I am running out of room, and they will need a bigger tank at some point. I have only had them a week, and they aren't that messy yet, I just remember reading that they needed a clean up crew, but I may be remembering wrong. 

@Ken Burke They are fun to watch and feed. I agree, is it sort of a nice problem.

@GardenStateGoldfish I live in centrally isolated Central New York, so it is a long way to NJ. I will keep them until I find a good home for them. Any advice on keeping them happy and healthy while they are here is very welcome.

@Flumpweesel I think the one with the long tail is a comet, and I think the other 2 are not. but I really know nothing about goldfish.

@StanF I will find them a good home. There isn't a rush. I will find out how to care for them.

@Torrey Thanks to you, I just got the "Aquarium Co-Op Tough Specimen Container" in the mail so I will start taking photos tomorrow !!

@GardenStateGoldfish I just ordered some "Hikari Saki Fancy Goldfish Fish Food for Premium Grade or Fancy Goldfish" tonight. I fear my resolve to rehome these beautiful fish is weakening. But I will need to rehome them at some point. they will need more room than I have for them here.

Here are some photos of the 3 goldfish. Not great, but I was taking photos of a problem in the tank next to them, so I tried to get a few shot of them while I was standing there. I think they have eaten all the smaller snails I put in the tank.

Anyone know what kind of goldfish they are?

The white with orange splotches:

2033760770_whitefish.jpg.44143e11581da107fec6d2cfaa776c79.jpg

The orange one that is built like the white and orange one below the long tailed one:

1492167944_2orang.jpg.d969254ae7740622ca3b436a40defe4c.jpg

The long tailed one

2055507989_longtail.jpg.bd82c8f86c0be725b0a9cbc5425174c2.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom
Added question
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@StanF They LOVE to eat snails. I put gave them a wide range of snail sized. All the small snails are gone. I think they have lived on stale flakes for the past 2 years. They really like brine shrimp too. The look so healthy after pigging out on the live food. The driftwood I put in there is cover with snails and snail eggs on all sides of the wood. 

I talked to the LFS, and they said they would be happy to take them. I can tell COVID has hurt them. I am glad to give them the fish, I will just wait a week or 2 to enjoy them a little longer.

• Like 1