plant melt

big bear

ok so I put some real nice hornwort plant from one of my other tanks in a newer tank. the plant is no turning brown and dropping it's needles. I have put plenty of eazy green in. will they come back or should I just pull it now and save the mess it is making of my tank. thanks

Whenever I move my hornwort to a new tank it pouts and drops its needles. They really need a lot of calcium and are pigs so need lots of nitrate. My hornwort usually looks on the verge of death after a move then comes back nice. I took it out of a lot of tanks that were harder to maintain because of the occasional temper tantrums. 

Edited by Guppysnail

When they are somewhat happy they grow pretty fast, so one workaround is to transplant small pieces only, putting a limit on the mess. I usually throw away parts beginning to turn brown. I don't think those parts will recover, but the plant may, with new growth. I am no expert.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:58 AM, big bear said:

ok so I put some real nice hornwort plant from one of my other tanks in a newer tank. the plant is no turning brown and dropping it's needles. I have put plenty of eazy green in. will they come back or should I just pull it now and save the mess it is making of my tank. thanks

It's communicating, hornwort style.

Do you know the nitrates or calcium content of the water in the tank?