Heater Setup

Cinnebuns

I'm trying to figure out my heater situation. I know its 50W per 10 gallons and that getting 1 size bigger can be helpful and strangely sometimes cheaper. I also know it's OK to run 2 heaters in the same tank. My first question is about that. Should both heaters be the same size?  Would issues arrise running 2 different sizes?  I have a 29g and a few 10g tanks. I'm considering getting a few 50W and 1 either 100W or 150W. So I would run a 50W in each 10 and a 50W along with a larger in the 29. I wanna make sure there won't be any issues with doing this in the 29. I also hope to keep a 50W as a backup. 

While I'm at it I might as well ask for specific heater suggestions. What have you tried and liked?  Pros/cons?

Ty for your time!

Edited by Cinnebuns

I will preface this with the disclaimer that I do not currently use heaters in my tanks. If anything, I would need a tank cooler. One of the benefits of living in Florida. 

When a heater is on, there is a larger than normal temperature gradient, with the water closer to the heater being hotter. The higher the wattage of the heater, the larger the gradient. Using two smaller heaters (even if unbalanced) will create smaller gradients even with the multiple hot spots.

You might want to check on the recommended heater size for your 29g. I don't know the room to tank differential temperature, but 100w total might be sufficient. Using only 50w heaters would have the benefit of interchangeability. You might even consider using 3x 50w heaters if 150w is needed (and you have space)

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 6:22 PM, Widgets said:

When a heater is on, there is a larger than normal temperature gradient, with the water closer to the heater being hotter. The higher the wattage of the heater, the larger the gradient. Using two smaller heaters (even if unbalanced) will create smaller gradients even with the multiple hot spots.

Worth pointing out that convection (flow) will prevent hot spots around your heater.  I still think a couple of smaller ones is better for not accidentally cooking fish with a failure. 

Whats the total temperature difference between your tank and your room?  That and the size/shape of your tank should determine heater size.  My tank in the kitchen is 14gallons with a 50w heater but it only runs at about a 25% duty cycle (so about 12watts on average).

On 2/19/2022 at 11:16 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I keep it pretty cool in my place, even on the side of cold sometimes because...long story...  so the temp difference is probably like 8-10 degrees F.  

I think that's generally about what the heater sizing recommendations are designed for.  I wouldn't oversize unless you anticipate your room temps dropping even more over winter.

I use dual heaters on anything 20g up. It holds very stable temp with little fluctuations and protection from a heater tat stops heating. I also advise an inkbird controller to protect against heater sticking and failing on cooking fish. This video covers most of your question around the 12 minute mark it covers dual haters

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I second Guppysnail. 

Or, acclimate fish to living without a heater. Which means not raising some fish, depending on environment. 

<everyone but my blue guppies and fry grow out are now heaterless. Tank temps range from turtle pond (with happily breeding endlers) is 53° this morning. Spouse 4' is 69° with endlers and danios and snails>

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 9:00 AM, Torrey said:

I second Guppysnail. 

Or, acclimate fish to living without a heater. Which means not raising some fish, depending on environment. 

<everyone but my blue guppies and fry grow out are now heaterless. Tank temps range from turtle pond (with happily breeding endlers) is 53° this morning. Spouse 4' is 69° with endlers and danios and snails>

I admire your setup.  My new shrimp tank is unheated, but other than that I couldn't get away without a heater.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:25 AM, CT_ said:

I admire your setup.  My new shrimp tank is unheated, but other than that I couldn't get away without a heater.

I gave up discus, and when my last betta died I made a commitment to no more. I have a good back up system that can keep air going for about a week, as long as I don't need heaters.

Past 2 years really made me re-evaluate what I need, as well as what my livestock need, in case of emergency. Did I plan on the heater breaking?

No.

And everyone seems to have acclimated, so I am not replacing the heater in the turtle pond.

I have a 100 gallon set up. 75 gallon display tank and a 25ish gallon sump.  I use two 200w heaters in the sump hooked up to a controller. 

The controller has several set points and an alarm function for over or under temp. So far it has worked out really well.  Below is a screen shot of the controller I use.

Screenshot_20220220-115012_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 1