Any Suggestions

David Retired LEO

• Administrators
On 2/18/2022 at 9:42 AM, David Retired LEO said:

Hello all, I have a 55 gal. with 5 gold fish in my basement. I need to move them for a week or so while deal with another water problem (leaky basement). Any ideas on how to move them? Where to keep them? I have an empty, cycled 10 gal in my bedroom. Not sure if that would be OK for a week. Thanks for any help. 

Probably the easiest thing to do is get a large tote from a hardware store (like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) or a farm/feed store (stock tank). I would try to get one that is at least 35-40 gallons. You can even use a large Rubbermaid trash can (I have temporarily kept fish in a 40 and 55 gallon trash can before). Move your filter or the the filter media to the tote, along with some of the decor (for beneficial bacteria). Match the water temps, and transport the fish. Then, you can break-down the 55 and deal with the basement.

Good luck!

I just saw your other post, and see that you have sponge filters. Perfect. Just use those and pop them into the temporary tub.

On 2/18/2022 at 12:00 PM, Zenzo said:

Probably the easiest thing to do is get a large tote from a hardware store (like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) or a farm/feed store (stock tank). I would try to get one that is at least 35-40 gallons. You can even use a large Rubbermaid trash can (I have temporarily kept fish in a 40 and 55 gallon trash can before). Move your filter or the the filter media to the tote, along with some of the decor (for beneficial bacteria). Match the water temps, and transport the fish. Then, you can break-down the 55 and deal with the basement.

Good luck!

Or a few smaller totes, if you have filter media for them

• Administrators
On 2/18/2022 at 10:04 AM, Ken Burke said:

Or a few smaller totes, if you have filter media for them

Yep, this could work as well. He has 3 sponge filters and 5 medium sized goldfish. Either 2-3 smaller totes, or one larger one. 

• 2 weeks later...