Java Fern Dying?

• Administrators
On 2/17/2022 at 8:57 AM, CorydorasEthan said:

It's leaves have slowly been browning and then dying starting a few weeks ago. Its grown really well up until then. No changes to the tank have been made, so I'm wondering how I can help it. Thanks! 

20220217_105150.jpg.4b945aa052c5698d8bb5b5599a299964.jpg

Most likely it is due to nutrient deficiencies. Java fern is a water column feeder. Do you dose the tank with liquid fertilizer? What are the nitrate levels in the tank?

• Administrators
On 2/17/2022 at 10:15 AM, CorydorasEthan said:

I do not dose with liquid fertilizer. Nitrate levels are around 50.

Nitrate levels are good, but there may be a nutrient that the plant needs that is not being met by just the aquarium nitrates. 

@CorydorasEthan, a few months back I had had some Java ferns start to die back starting with the base of the leaves like yours. I dose Easy Green and supplemental Potassium and couldn’t figure out what was happening. I asked the forum and some wise member pointed out that sometimes Java fern convert from emersed to submerged growth many months after being introduced into an aquarium. This might be what’s happening to yours. In my case the plants lost all their leaves but are growing new ones and otherwise look healthy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 3:33 PM, Patrick_G said:

@CorydorasEthan, a few months back I had had some Java ferns start to die back starting with the base of the leaves like yours. I dose Easy Green and supplemental Potassium and couldn’t figure out what was happening. I asked the forum and some wise member pointed out that sometimes Java fern convert from emersed to submerged growth many months after being introduced into an aquarium. This might be what’s happening to yours. In my case the plants lost all their leaves but are growing new ones and otherwise look healthy. 

On 2/17/2022 at 2:38 PM, DEFREESE AQUARIUMS said:

Not sure what light you are using, but if it's too bright you can be burning the leaves causing them to die. But as others have mentioned in some cases it just a lack of potassium.

I've had these plants for over a year, and they've grown just fine under the same conditions until now. However, I did sell off the massive guppy/endler population that had been living in the tank about a month ago. Maybe the loss of nitrates led to this? I will try dosing Easy Green to see if it might solve whatever issue it is.

Thanks for the advice!

On 2/17/2022 at 1:43 PM, CorydorasEthan said:

I've had these plants for over a year, and they've grown just fine under the same conditions until now. However, I did sell off the massive guppy/endler population that had been living in the tank about a month ago. Maybe the loss of nitrates led to this? I will try dosing Easy Green to see if it might solve whatever issue it is.

Thanks for the advice!

Mine had also been in the aquarium for a while, maybe 7-8 months. According to the nutrient deficiency charts a leaf dying from the base up might indicate a phosphate deficiency. I didn’t buy supplemental phosphorus but did increase my Easy Green dosing. 

• Thanks 1