Ziss Premium Breeder Box with livebearers?

Ambassador

I'm looking to pick up a Ziss breeder box for some guppies and swordtails that will be dropping fry soon but I notice this particular box doesn't have the "V" shaped seperator to keep the hungry mama away from her babies like some of the less expensive options do. Is there a known add-on or modification using a floating basket to make a separation between fry and female until she can be removed?

I'm not much of a fan of Petco but they do sell this floating breeder box that has an insert with small slits that allows fry to swim downward into a compartment that is unreachable by the hungry mom: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-isolation-and-breeder-fish-tank

also not sure why they refer to it as a "fish tank" as it's just a small floating acrylic container.

Edited by colo3000

On 2/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, Ambassador said:

I'm looking to pick up a Ziss breeder box for some guppies and swordtails that will be dropping fry soon but I notice this particular box doesn't have the "V" shaped seperator to keep the hungry mama away from her babies like some of the less expensive options do. Is there a known add-on or modification using a floating basket to make a separation between fry and female until she can be removed?

I was just watching Dean's video and realized how easy it would be to run a UGF in the tank, and use the uplift tube from the UGF to suck either eggs, or newly born livebearer fry down through the UGF, and then up the uplift tube to be deposited into the Ziss breeder box.

Simply use an airstone to run a hands free fry separator.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 1:22 AM, Torrey said:

I was just watching Dean's video and realized how easy it would be to run a UGF in the tank, and use the uplift tube from the UGF to suck either eggs, or newly born livebearer fry down through the UGF, and then up the uplift tube to be deposited into the Ziss breeder box.

Simply use an airstone to run a hands free fry separator.

I'd be worried that the breeder box would turn by default into a septic tank with a UGF as it would also be pumping all the waste from the parent fish into the box as well (depends on the fish load obviously.) In one of Cory's guppy videos he talked about using small stones piled up around an air lift tube to achieve this though. The fry seek out the cover and get pulled up into the tube. I think combining that with the breeder box would be handy though.

I wonder if there is a small pond basket or something that would fit in the more standard breeder box since the GL-1 is hard to find. This would create a barrier for mama and then would be easy to remove once she has dropped her fry.

• Like 2