I have val americana floating in a tank in my greenhouse, and it's been there for 2+ months. I threw it in there and only meant to leave it for few days, then forgot about it until seeing this post. 😬

Check on it now- It looks good. The roots are growing at a perpendicular angle to the val, downward, and have grown about 4". A few new leaves have grown as well. So, I'd say val can survive at least 2 months floating, given there is enough light and ferts.IMG_5824.jpg.8a3ae93a18470fc48190198f6f617e77.jpg 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jessica. said:

I have val americana floating in a tank in my greenhouse, and it's been there for 2+ months. I threw it in there and only meant to leave it for few days, then forgot about it until seeing this post. 😬

Check on it now- It looks good. The roots are growing at a perpendicular angle to the val, downward, and have grown about 4". A few new leaves have grown as well. So, I'd say val can survive at least 2 months floating, given there is enough light and ferts.

I wish my Val looked like that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lynn Val not working out for ya? Bummer. If you want to provide more info, maybe we can help? Sometimes vals take a loooong time to adjust to your water before taking off. I've had them sit and look sad for months after getting them, then they slowly start to adapt to your water. 6 months later your tank is full of vals. 

I have had them in since the beginning of August.   They melted as expected, but so far each plant has leaves one inch long,  they are smaller than all of my plants foreground plants.   I have a low light tank, 29 gal, PH is 8.4  use Aquarium Coop Easy green and root tabs.   I have found that all stem plants I have tried to grow die.   I am beginning to think the light may be just to low.  Cryps grow, Java moss is growing, Sword plant is growing, and Aponogenton Boivinians is growing.  I planted Indian Fern Watersprite, but barely growing in the substrate, pieces floating are growing great.   First planted tank in 20 plus years of having aquariums.