10 gal planted leaking, best way to transfer?

Shea Loner

My 10 gal planted guppy tank sprung a leak. Been blaming the wet spots on my cats. 🤨 But nope, leaking. I know I will loose my moss wall but any recs on best way to transfer to a new tank? There are a Lot of babies and I am down the use of my right arm.

Water and fish to a bucket? Then substrate and plants to new tank?

Edited by Shea Loner

Yes that is the quickest simplest least stressful way on the fish. Look up some videos you can reseal the leak if it is at the seam. Keep the moss wall moist with a spray bottle including a tiny amount of fertilizer with the water and Saran Wrap with a few tiny air holes and you may  be able to save the moss wall until you can reseal.  It’s easy to reseal but I shattered my right wrist so totally empathize with easy tasks becoming monumental and insurmountable. Wishes for speedy healing. Welcome to the forum. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I had the same thing happen last night 😳. Tank sprung a leak and I realized the stand (which was indeed designed for aquariums) had bowed in the middle and the tank wasn't sitting flush on it.  Or maybe the tank was cheap.  I had the container to make one of these dealios, and that's what I ended up doing last night. The cat likes that she can sit on the floor and watch the fish now too. Heh. 😸 

Once a tank starts leaking, I don't trust it anymore. That's just me.  I had a bad experience once where a leak looked minor, but then the bottom gave out (fortunately only substrate & decor were in the tank at that time). 

This is just a quarantine tank, so I think I will just leave the fish in here until they complete their month and then they go into the display tank. No sense moving them again and stressing them out.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 10:17 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I had the same thing happen last night 😳. Tank sprung a leak and I realized the stand (which was indeed designed for aquariums) had bowed in the middle and the tank wasn't sitting flush on it.  Or maybe the tank was cheap.  I had the container to make one of these dealios, and that's what I ended up doing last night. The cat likes that she can sit on the floor and watch the fish now too. Heh. 😸 

Once a tank starts leaking, I don't trust it anymore. That's just me.  I had a bad experience once where a leak looked minor, but then the bottom gave out (fortunately only substrate & decor were in the tank at that time). 

This is just a quarantine tank, so I think I will just leave the fish in here until they complete their month and then they go into the display tank. No sense moving them again and stressing them out.

Those totes are crazy handy in this hobby for tons of stuff.  Once a tank leaks I never trust it either. The monetary damage it can potentially cause as well as harm to the fish is extensive compared to the price of a new tank.  

My cats would go fishing ie try to pry any lid off. They do that to just buckets and totes of prep water with lids. 

• Haha 1

I didnt end up looking for the leak on it. It may still be sitting in the corner. 😁 The only tank I have ever repaired was my old metal framed slate bottom tank. Its easier to do with a frame. 

The fish and plants are growing in nicely will try to grab an update pic tonight. Latches and lids are a necessity with cats. One of my boys like to pull out the sponge filters by the hose. Repeatedly. 🤨

• Like 1