Betta fish- age or disease?

Sunny

Hi all! I got my first betta fish about a year ago from a big-box. He’s always been happy and healthy. Now I’ve noticed his fins changing- I didn’t think anything of them growing out clear, thinking it’s maybe just him growing gray. But now I’m not sure? He still swims up vigorously to greet me, eats well, tank has been set up for a year and not much has changed, plants grow well, and the rasboras in there seem good. 

Is this just the aging process, or are there some warning signs I should consider here? At first glance I though fin rot, but if it is, it’s not presenting in a way I’ve seen in my other fish (and his other fins are normal).

C0C2B67F-CAAF-4C40-A8B4-2A0D209ABC43.jpeg

CF6F5F0D-5FEB-4E3E-A7F8-2B4AF5B73D93.jpeg

D07840A6-EAED-4C34-8973-80C271118A8F.jpeg

In my guppies New tail growth as they get older and tails get longer is clearish at first then gains color. I’ve also had guppies with damaged tails and it grows back clear then colors up later. I don’t know if this applies to betta though. Edit to add bad eyes I can’t actually see the clear in your photos to compare

Edited by Guppysnail

On 2/3/2022 at 11:26 PM, Guppysnail said:

In my guppies New tail growth as they get older and tails get longer is clearish at first then gains color. I’ve also had guppies with damaged tails and it grows back clear then colors up later. I don’t know if this applies to betta though.

What Guppysnail said. It's the same with bettas. Also, bettas tend to change colour, sometimes on a daily basis. All depends on the individual fish.

As long as the fins are not shredded, disappearing, developing holes, white spots, or other signs of damage or parasites, I think you should be fine.

If the colouration doesn't fill in over the next few weeks, try adding some new foods to his diet. (As long as he's not extremely picky--mine is, and it's a PAIN to get him to eat anything other than a single pellet type).

On 2/6/2022 at 7:49 AM, Sunny said:

Thanks all! Here’s a picture from a few months ago. I’ll go pick up some bloodworms today, it’s been a while since I’ve fed him some. 

7A7ED327-76DF-4A50-8158-BC8DC9E46EBA.jpeg

Yup! Your boyo is growing up. You have a marbled betta, the coloration will be constantly changing. Sometimes people who compete (IBC) will ship a betta to the show, and the betta that arrives at the show will look 100% different than the one that left the breeders home.

I can't remember the genotype that differentiates a koi from a marble. The phenotype is predominantly reds, golds, blacks and whites, with the exception of galaxy koi.

You have a happy, healthy betta!