Gold Ram not eating

Judobadger

In my 75 gallon display I lost a gold ram that started hiding for an extended time, bloated, and died.  I thought it was due to aggression.  The very next day the 2nd of 3 gold rams stopped eating and started hiding.  I was able to catch it and move it to a hospital tank.

I cant get it to eat, but I have, aquarium salt,  Ich-x, para-cleanse, and maracyn oxy in the water.  I am seeing no change.  The fish is reclusive and refuses food.  Any ideas?

On 1/27/2022 at 7:43 PM, Judobadger said:

In my 75 gallon display I lost a gold ram that started hiding for an extended time, bloated, and died.  I thought it was due to aggression.  The very next day the 2nd of 3 gold rams stopped eating and started hiding.  I was able to catch it and move it to a hospital tank.

I cant get it to eat, but I have, aquarium salt,  Ich-x, para-cleanse, and maracyn oxy in the water.  I am seeing no change.  The fish is reclusive and refuses food.  Any ideas?

What are your water parameters have you added anything new to the tank resently how long have you had them and did you treat them for parasites when you got them

On 1/27/2022 at 5:21 PM, Colu said:

What are your water parameters have you added anything new to the tank resently how long have you had them and did you treat them for parasites when you got them

They have been in the tank for 2 months.  Last fish were added a month ago from the same breeder.  I didn't treat them.

Parameters are (via coop test strip) 10 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 300 ppm GH, 80 ppm KH,  7.41 ph and 0 chlorine.

Liquid test gives 7 dkh gh, 5 dkh kh, 2.5 ppm nitrate, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite.

From my apex controller ph is 7.41 and temp 79.6.

I can do liquid tests later.  Fish were bread in higher ph harder water.

Tank is planted with 2 gallon per day auto change. Picture for reference.

20220127_194143.jpg

Edited by Judobadger

As they have gone off their food and with the bloating it could be internal parasites as you have done one course of paracleanse what I would do is follow up in two weeks from the initial  treatment with another course of paracleanse I would also do a course of Fritz  Expel p as that requires one dose leave 24hr then a water change once a week for 3 weeks to cover all bases

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 7:39 AM, Colu said:

As they have gone off their food and with the bloating it could be internal parasites as you have done one course of paracleanse what I would do is follow up in two weeks from the initial  treatment with another course of paracleanse I would also do a course of Fritz  Expel p as that requires one dose leave 24hr then a water change once a week for 3 weeks to cover all bases

To be more clear just the ram has stopped eating and been moved to a hospital tank, but I will assume treating the entire tank is a good idea.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:19 PM, Judobadger said:

To be more clear just the ram has stopped eating and been moved to a hospital tank, but I will assume treating the entire tank is a good idea.

Yes I would treat the main tank for parasites

On 1/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, Judobadger said:

They have been in the tank for 2 months.  Last fish were added a month ago from the same breeder.  I didn't treat them.

Parameters are (via coop test strip) 10 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 300 ppm GH, 80 ppm KH,  7.410 chlorine.

Liquid test gives 7 dkh gh, 5 dkh kh, 2.5 ppm nitrate, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite.

From my apex controller ph is 7.41 and temp 79.6.

I can do liquid tests later.  Fish were bread in higher ph harder water.

Tank is planted with 2 gallon per day auto change. Picture for reference.

20220127_194143.jpg

7.41 chlorine is troubling also i would try raising the temp at least for a short time to 83 or 84; then let it settle back down to 82. The angels object to the warmer waters but do you have anything else in the aquarium ?

Rams are very delicate and bloat/stop eating is likely not due to parasite but something else upset them. They are very sensitive to sudden changes in temp and generally prefer softer waters (despite being raised in harder water).

Edited by anewbie

On 1/29/2022 at 1:34 PM, anewbie said:

7.41 chlorine is troubling also i would try raising the temp at least for a short time to 83 or 84; then let it settle back down to 82. The angels object to the warmer waters but do you have anything else in the aquarium ?

Rams are very delicate and bloat/stop eating is likely not due to parasite but something else upset them. They are very sensitive to sudden changes in temp and generally prefer softer waters (despite being raised in harder water).

That was a typo.  It 7.41 ph and 0 chlorine.  

On 1/29/2022 at 3:24 PM, Judobadger said:

@ColuMy main tank is very cloudy today after removing carbon from the cannister and dosing paracleanse.  Should I be concerned?  I am not sure if it's due to messing with the filter or the med.

20220129_102410.jpg

Meds often cause cloudy water as long as you water parameters are fine then I would just add an extra air stone it will clear in a couple of days

I have been giving medicated food with kanaplex/metroplex using focus and garlic guard so I am good there.  I am not sure how much it eats vs the snails.  This fish didn't eat at all a week ago, but I see it sifting through sand now so I am believe its eating when I am not watching (at least a little).  Thank you again for the advice.