Soilent Green not setting up

Mr. Hollywood

• Administrators
On 1/24/2022 at 9:18 AM, Mr. Hollywood said:

I'm on the second half of a bottle of S.G. and it's not setting up as firm as first half, starts falling apart when it hits water. Makes a big mess in tank.  Maybe shake before every use? 

I would make sure that the powder is mixed in the bottle before adding it to your water mixture, and maybe try adding a little less water (you can adjust the amount of water for your desired firmness). Maybe instead of 3 parts water, try 2-2.5 parts water. 

I make my Repashy with water from a heated water dispenser- so not technically rapid boiling like @Guppysnail but it really depends on how much water to mix you use, I like the gel to be a bit stiff so I put a rounded scoop of mix and then 2 of the same scoop (doesn't matter it's just 1:2) of the water from my dispenser- for me the rapid part is rapid stir (so I can get it all mixed in with a tiny whisk- I do small batches) and I might even then have to add just a little more powder mix to get it to set the way I like. Might still be a bit jiggly but I put it in the fridge and it sets up fine and easy to cut into cubes.

• Like 2

I don't really measure the water when I mix my Rapashy Super Gold.  I start with two rounded teaspoons and just add boiling water (from an electric kettle) while stirring vigorously.  I add the water little by little until it just becomes a liquid.  When I first start adding water, it starts out by absorbing the water and then turns into a thick paste.  I keep slowly adding the hot water until the paste starts to liquify.  I like it a bit on the firmer side to avoid having it break up so easily.

Although, I have to add that when it comes time for feeding, I actually feed it to my goldies in bite size chunks that they can get entirely in their mouths in one bite.  If I just put a big chunk in the tank, they will break it up and shred it when they take bites and I end up with a lot of Repashy particles floating around.

StanF