Stray Voltage Limits

Austin Raabe

Does anyone know if laboratory research has been performed as to the limits of stray voltage in freshwater and marine aquaria.  I am trying to isolate isolate the variable that is causing saltwater fish deaths.  I have tested the traditional parameters multiple times and had a local retailer test the water. All parameters are within bounds.

Using a voltmeter I discovered there was a reading of 10V and found the culprit to be a submersible AC pump.

I have grounded the tank with a commercial apparatus but am still curious as to whether anyone has actually done the research.  Local store owners and hobbyists have provide contradictory opinions.

This is an interesting question but I don't think there's going to be an easy answer.  What were you measuring voltage relative to? 

Factors such as the conductivity of the water and the current path (if any) probably matter.  A static electric field with no current flowing will probably not effect the fish at all for example.

Edited by CT_

The voltage was relative to the ground plug, that is, I ran a wire from the ground terminal of the three prong plug to the ground pole of the voltmeter.  I then immersed the other probe of the voltmeter into the saltwater of the tank.  Doing this several times resulted in a consistent 10V reading.  

As I mentioned, some aquarists opine that this voltage is harmless while others imply that stray voltage might account for unexplained deaths.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/curing-stray-voltage-in-saltwater-aquarium-2924174

The question is will 10V stray voltage in a marine tank produce enough stress on a fish to eventually kill it.

Voltage and amperage are two related variables that need to be investigated to answer the question.

Aquatop sells the NO-VOLT Titanium Grounding Probe to remove stray voltage.  It does eliminate the measured 10V previously present.  Is this wasted money spent on a product that solves nothing except makes a sucker believe he has solved a problem?

Maybe I will call or email Aquatop to see if anyone has researched the topic.

On 1/23/2022 at 7:40 PM, Austin Raabe said:

The voltage was relative to the ground plug, that is, I ran a wire from the ground terminal of the three prong plug to the ground pole of the voltmeter.  I then immersed the other probe of the voltmeter into the saltwater of the tank.  Doing this several times resulted in a consistent 10V reading.  

As I mentioned, some aquarists opine that this voltage is harmless while others imply that stray voltage might account for unexplained deaths.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/curing-stray-voltage-in-saltwater-aquarium-2924174

I don't think it is possible to electrocute fish in a aquarium. They are always in the water and there is no way current could pass through them. 

So when you did this you removed the powerhead and the voltage disappeared? 

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. 

How does the water look? Is it super clear? Just because you have no nitrates or nitrites doesn't mean you don't have lots of bacteria in the water. (or something else)

Edited by Wrencher_Scott

If you're looking for professional reports, then the aquaculture/aquaponics realm would have some information for you if it was an issue, but a quick search has turned up nothing. With no reports on stray voltages in aquaculture, I would assume it's been a proven non-issue. Teh aquaculture industry issues reports on everything fish related you can imagine, so finding nothing about stray voltages implies it's not an issue.

• Like 1

There is a difference between "electrocuting" fish and "stressing" fish.  Extended stress, from any source, can result in death.

Research is done to answer questions.

I discovered the source of the voltage by turning off the pump.  When I did this, the voltage went to zero.  With the pump on, but the Aquatopo NO-VOLT Titanium probe installed, the voltage also went to zero.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:07 PM, Austin Raabe said:

There is a difference between "electrocuting" fish and "stressing" fish.  Extended stress, from any source, can result in death.

I discovered the source of the voltage by turning off the pump.  When I did this, the voltage went to zero.  With the pump on, but the Aquatopo NO-VOLT Titanium probe installed, the voltage also went to zero.

Maybe you are measuring the difference of the current draw from the pump. This would be easy to test. remove the pump and then turn it on, see if you still get a voltage on your meter. It would most likely be best to run the pump in water (give it a load). It will probably use more amperage with a load. I say probably because I've seen large pumps actually pull less current with larger load. 

I'm not saying electrocution in that way, I get what you mean. I jut don't see how this would bother any fish, especially to the point of killing it.

I really think you are barking up the wrong tree, I would explore diseases that show no outward signs on the fish being this sounds like what is going on.

And like you said, stress can cause death but the fish won't just die, right? They have to die of something. Stress causes disease.

Sounds like you are focused on this being the issue, replace the pump and see what happens. 

Anything with a coil will cause electromagnetic fields, and I don't think it is an issue.  

On 1/24/2022 at 6:07 PM, Austin Raabe said:

Just thought of something, it's salt water which is an electrolyte. Maybe it's the probes metal properties in the saltwater you are seeing. (like a battery)