Quarantine plants

The only time I sterilize plants is when I don’t want to transfer snails, scuds or other things. For example, we do not want scuds or any other critters in our Caridina shrimp tanks if we can keep from it so we bought tissue cultured plants for those tanks.

For all of our other aquariums we don’t worry about it too much since we have snails and other critters already in them. The fish will take care of the hitchhiker’s for the most part.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, Struggle said:

The only time I sterilize plants is when I don’t want to transfer snails, scuds or other things. For example, we do not want scuds or any other critters in our Caridina shrimp tanks if we can keep from it so we bought tissue cultured plants for those tanks.

For all of our other aquariums we don’t worry about it too much since we have snails and other critters already in them. The fish will take care of the hitchhiker’s for the most part.

The one tank will have shrimp and micro crabs.  I'm concerned about getting what could be transferred to my tanks.  When you sterilized plants was it hard on them?  

On 1/23/2022 at 11:30 AM, Danabana said:

The one tank will have shrimp and micro crabs.  I'm concerned about getting what could be transferred to my tanks.  When you sterilized plants was it hard on them?  

Not really, there was some melt back but that’s pretty typical when even just adding new plants.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 9:31 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

I never do anything to plants I get. I have never had any issues but I might just be asking for trouble.

Same! What's the worst that could happen? I actually want them to come in with snails on them. And I don't mind hydra either. I think they're cool! 

• Like 1

nothing willl happpen dont scare i had the same thing as you but then i saw That 95% of thing that go in your tank are harmles to fish and scud even help moving the ground so the thing yo can do @Danabana is rinse it an put it in a container with water for three days and then rinse it and itroduce them

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:24 AM, bettta999 said:

nothing willl happpen dont scare i had the same thing as you but then i saw That 95% of thing that go in your tank are harmles to fish and scud even help moving the ground so the thing yo can do @Danabana is rinse it an put it in a container with water for three days and then rinse it and itroduce them

That sounds like a more reasonable option.  I've gone back n forth with doing a bleach dip.  You start reading and watching videos on how to do handle tanks....it gets overwhelming.  It was easier when I first set up the 1st tank...now I'm so afraid to do something wrong and lose my fish.  I'm just trying to create a more natural environment for them.  Thanks for the advice!! 🐡🐟🦐

On 1/24/2022 at 7:03 AM, Danabana said:

That sounds like a more reasonable option.  I've gone back n forth with doing a bleach dip.  You start reading and watching videos on how to do handle tanks....it gets overwhelming.  It was easier when I first set up the 1st tank...now I'm so afraid to do something wrong and lose my fish.  I'm just trying to create a more natural environment for them.  Thanks for the advice!! 🐡🐟🦐

I was the same way! The first time a snail came in on my plants I freaked out because I thought they would end up overrunning my tank. When the hydra came in I freaked out again until I learned they are harmless as well. I think the fear is just a natural part of the process. Means we care! 

• Love 2

On 1/24/2022 at 9:24 AM, Jennifer V said:

I was the same way! The first time a snail came in on my plants I freaked out because I thought they would end up overrunning my tank. When the hydra came in I freaked out again until I learned they are harmless as well. I think the fear is just a natural part of the process. Means we care! 

Exactly...I do care. And I'm so afraid to make a mistake. I get it will happen but I'm trying to do my best to head off any major problems.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:31 AM, Danabana said:

Exactly...I do care. And I'm so afraid to make a mistake. I get it will happen but I'm trying to do my best to head off any major problems.  

I'm sure you're an excellent fish parent! What new plants did you buy/are you going to buy? 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:00 AM, Jennifer V said:

I'm sure you're an excellent fish parent! What new plants did you buy/are you going to buy? 

I bought Java Fern, several kinds of Anubias, tiger lotus, crypts, red sword,  and scarlet temple.  I'm planting 2 tanks...to start with.  I picked what appear to be easy plants to grow.  Fingers crossed 🤞 🥴

Do you have a favorite plant? 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, Danabana said:

I bought Java Fern, several kinds of Anubias, tiger lotus, crypts, red sword,  and scarlet temple.  I'm planting 2 tanks...to start with.  I picked what appear to be easy plants to grow.  Fingers crossed 🤞 🥴

Do you have a favorite plant? 

That's such a great question! I have no idea what my favorite plants are! I've had a lot of luck with anubias so I'm excited to try more of those. I really love my red flame sword but she isn't doing very well at the moment. I think I had her in a corner of the tank that was too dark so I just moved her. I bought a Bucephalandra that looks really cool. The leaves are kind of iridescent. And I really want a tiger lotus too. 

Sounds like you have an awesome selection of fun plants. Post pics once you get them in! 

• Love 1

On 1/24/2022 at 11:29 AM, Jennifer V said:

That's such a great question! I have no idea what my favorite plants are! I've had a lot of luck with anubias so I'm excited to try more of those. I really love my red flame sword but she isn't doing very well at the moment. I think I had her in a corner of the tank that was too dark so I just moved her. I bought a Bucephalandra that looks really cool. The leaves are kind of iridescent. And I really want a tiger lotus too. 

Sounds like you have an awesome selection of fun plants. Post pics once you get them in! 

I am very excited with my choices.  It took me awhile to decide which ones I wanted for each tank.  I'm sure I will have to play around with them to find a good spot for all of them.  This is a great hobby ...that gets pricy but what hobby isn't pricy to do.  Plus the fish are therapeutic!!  I will definitely post post pics of my journey.  I'm so glad I found this forum.  It's great to chat with those with the same interests. 🐠🐌🐡

• Love 1