Stem Plant Tips/Tricks?

I have some scarlet temple plants in an aquarium with a gravel substrate. Any tips or tricks to keep them healthy? Tank has the standard Aqueon LED hood that comes with their kits. I've been using the easy green fertilizer to help as there aren't any fish in the tank to provide natural fertilizer. Some of the leaves seem to be getting a bit pale/yellow. Is that normal when they're first getting acclimated or should I be getting worried?

• Like 2

When I got scarlet temple I used a suction cup from Amazon with zip ties. I secured it so the top leaf was just below the water line directly under the light to get it acclimated. It took off wonderfully. I left it there until it started sending roots and shoots   I have gravel no co2 no fertz.  When I moved it lower to another tank it stopped thriving because I had a heard of bristlenose babies that found it super yummy 🙃

1CBF2F48-EBDA-4752-BECB-D3245A87F4AD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:57 PM, NoobNerd said:

I have some scarlet temple plants in an aquarium with a gravel substrate. Any tips or tricks to keep them healthy? Tank has the standard Aqueon LED hood that comes with their kits. I've been using the easy green fertilizer to help as there aren't any fish in the tank to provide natural fertilizer. Some of the leaves seem to be getting a bit pale/yellow. Is that normal when they're first getting acclimated or should I be getting worried?

Scarlet Temple has always been a challenge for us. Just being honest... not all water + light + aeration works for all plants alike.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies! I think I may have used too much fertilizer to start. The tank is lightly planted, so I think I'm going to try to use about 1/3 of the recommended dose and see how that works.

On 1/23/2022 at 6:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

When I got scarlet temple I used a suction cup from Amazon with zip ties. I secured it so the top leaf was just below the water line directly under the light to get it acclimated. It took off wonderfully. I left it there until it started sending roots and shoots   I have gravel no co2 no fertz.  When I moved it lower to another tank it stopped thriving because I had a heard of bristlenose babies that found it super yummy 🙃

1CBF2F48-EBDA-4752-BECB-D3245A87F4AD.jpeg

What are the conditions you have for them? Temp, water parameters, hours of light per day?

Hard high kh ph 7.6 light 7-8 hours afternoon siesta 2-4 hours. (I’m not the most consistent person 🤣cheap Amazon hygger lights I turn the red/blue off it always grows algae. 77-78 degrees. Prime Conditioned Tap water. 

On 1/23/2022 at 9:42 AM, NoobNerd said:

What are the conditions you have for them? Temp, water parameters, hours of light per day?

Your led hood may not offer enough light

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 9:48 AM, Guppysnail said:

Hard high kh ph 7.6 light 7-8 hours afternoon siesta 2-4 hours. (I’m not the most consistent person 🤣cheap Amazon hygger lights I turn the red/blue off it always grows algae. 77-78 degrees. Prime Conditioned Tap water. 

Your led hood may not offer enough light. 

Thanks! My ph is right around 7 and temp is right around 78. I have only been running the LED light about 4-5 hrs a day with a little natural light filtering during most days. I'll try keeping the lights on more and see if there's any improvement.

I agree that one issue could be your lighting. I tried to grow plants with the Aquion hood with little success.  They i found this NICREW light on Amazon and the plants took off.  You have to play with the intensity and hours because too much to find the right balance (and avoid an algae outbreak like I experienced). I have found it a great light. I have a 10g.

NICREW SkyLED Plus Aquarium Light for Planted Tanks, Full Spectrum Freshwater Fish Tank Light, Light Brightness and Spectrum Adjustable with External Controller, 18-24 Inches, 18 Watts
by NICREW
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083ZDMMYH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QKV5ACBRKKXE4TYFD8X3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 4:24 AM, BAT said:

I agree that one issue could be your lighting. I tried to grow plants with the Aquion hood with little success.  They i found this NICREW light on Amazon and the plants took off.  You have to play with the intensity and hours because too much to find the right balance (and avoid an algae outbreak like I experienced). I have found it a great light. I have a 10g.

NICREW SkyLED Plus Aquarium Light for Planted Tanks, Full Spectrum Freshwater Fish Tank Light, Light Brightness and Spectrum Adjustable with External Controller, 18-24 Inches, 18 Watts
by NICREW
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083ZDMMYH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QKV5ACBRKKXE4TYFD8X3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think you're probably right, I don't think it's providing enough of what they need. The last two days I've been leaving it on closer to 14 hrs and the plants have started doing better. Thanks!

Scarlett temple is tough, it's fussy and doesn't like change.  I've had trimmings melt from an established plant.... One thing I believe is that it doesn't travel well. Couple that with sourcing it from waters that are completely different from your own and having to be changed to grow emursed is a recipe for failure. I was finally successful with temple when I bought from a source close to me. My tank parameters were (on aquarium coop test strips) 

Water temp 73~75 degrees 

Nitrates 10~15

Kh 80+

Gh 150 +/-

Ph 7.2+

I also planted in various places in the tank to see where it grew best and payed attention to its leaves opening/closing cycle to see if it was responding appropriately. 

Good luck, here are pictures from my first grow and first trim/replant

Edit: as for fertz at the time I bought them I was using Aquarium coop root tabs, easy green sparingly and Mexican potting clay in my substrate as an iron source. 

20220113_131547.jpg

20220123_184243.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
Added info
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:02 AM, JoeQ said:

Scarlett temple is tough, it's fussy and doesn't like change.  I've had trimmings melt from an established plant.... One thing I believe is that it doesn't travel well. Couple that with sourcing it from waters that are completely different from your own and having to be changed to grow emursed is a recipe for failure. I was finally successful with temple when I bought from a source close to me. My tank parameters were (on aquarium coop test strips) 

Water temp 73~75 degrees 

Nitrates 10~15

Kh 80+

Gh 150 +/-

Ph 7.2+

I also planted in various places in the tank to see where it grew best and payed attention to its leaves opening/closing cycle to see if it was responding appropriately. 

Edit: as for fertz at the time I bought them I was using Aquarium coop root tabs, easy green sparingly and Mexican potting clay in my substrate as an iron source. 

20220113_131547.jpg

20220123_184243.jpg

Thank you! I have been adding a little easy iron, and found that the water was a bit soft so have been adding small amounts of baking soda to bump the hardness up a bit (my hardness test strips aren't that great, but it appeared to be in the 50 range). It's tough because my PH is around 7.5 and don't want it to get much higher. Nitrates have also been low as it's a relatively new tank, only being in operation for about two weeks. As for temp, I'm dropping it a bit (it has been around 78 but getting it down to around 75).

Just wanted to give an update to all those who gave some advice. Thank you; I took a bit of info from everyone. Two days ago I was afraid of losing all of the plants. I upped the water hardness using baking soda and noticed that helped a bit. Increased the lighting and broke it up into 6 hrs on-2 hrs off-7 hrs on- 9 hrs off, which also showed improvement. Today added some Easy Iron and that made the color a slightly healthier red. Also dropped the aeration level from pretty cranked to slight movement (no fish in the tank yet so I may have been going a bit overboard) and tank temp from 78-ish down to 75, which also helped immensely. Tonight the plants look amazing and healthy. Can't believe the were all scraggly and melting just 48 hours ago! Think the poor lighting schedule, over-aeration, and slightly too soft water were largely the causes. I really appreciate the info everyone gave me! Will post pics when I get a chance.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:25 AM, JoeQ said:

One easy thing I learned is plants defiantly like it cold(er). IMO Higher temps result in plants more or less committing suicide by instantly melting!

Hi @JoeQ,

In my experience growing plants both in tanks and emersed I have not found your comment to be accurate.  I do agree that there are some plant species that are definitely cool water species like Anacharis (Egeria densa) and some of the Ceratophyllum species but many, many species do just fine at 86F in tanks and in my garage where I grow aquarium plants emersed for future set-ups.  Last summer the garage hit over 100 and the plants did fine.  I try to avoid 'blanket statements' because there are always exceptions.

30 gallon @83 degrees

spacer.png
75 gallon @86 degrees
spacer.png
Emersed garage
spacer.png

Its just a fact that the majority of plants within the hobby are happy at the 75f range. Of course there are exceptions and you seem to have a certain skill set that most don't (beautiful planted Discus tank btw). The original post was a specific beginner question about AR and stems. As a beginner (which i still consider myself to be) I've had more luck with them at lower temps. Including every exception to my expirance would be insane!! 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:02 AM, JoeQ said:

Water temp 73~75 degrees 

Nitrates 10~15

Kh 80+

Gh 150 +/-

Ph 7.2+

20220113_131547.jpg

20220123_184243.jpg

When you do clippings for propagating additional plants do you clip above or below the little nub?

Great timing on your post, im actually replanting my tank and took pictures.  Generally I just trim 3~4 leaf groups down (or more/less, depending how tall I want the stem & whats healthiest)  I then trim the bottom leaf off so that there is a barb to hold the substrate. When planted i then trim the lower leaf(s) if they don't fan out nicely and cover. Below are pictures

20220131_102235.jpg

20220131_102432.jpg

20220131_102722.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:37 AM, JoeQ said:

Great timing on your post, im actually replanting my tank and took pictures.  Generally I just trim 3~4 leaf groups down (or more/less, depending how tall I want the stem & whats healthiest)  I then trim the bottom leaf off so that there is a barb to hold the substrate. When planted i then trim the lower leaf(s) if they don't fan out nicely and cover. Below are pictures

20220131_102235.jpg

20220131_102432.jpg

20220131_102722.jpg

That was perfect timing. Thanks for the pics, too!