Inbreeding Bristlenose Pleco’s

CJs Aquatics

Hello all, just a quick question I’m hoping someone can answer. I had a breeding pair of bristlenose plecos, they bred, then unfortunately the female was lost later on. Some of the babies survived and have since grown up to a breeding size themselves. I put the amazing male whom is named walrus lol in his own tank with 2 females from the LFS. Long story short, he had babies again with one of them which I’m raising. His original babies which grew up were left in a grow out tank to determine there genders however, accident, I noticed one of his sons is sitting on eggs smh… question is, how detrimental is inbreeding when it comes to bristlenose plecos? Any information about its prevalence in the hobby and how to clean up this program would be helpful, thanks all…

I don’t have much to offer but need to know as well for the ones I kept. I got mom n dad together not meaning to breed they were both tiny. I’m not certain if they are brother and sister but I assume so. I have successfully raised three of their spawns with no issues deformity wise but each batch (lemon blue eye). 3-4 had a spot of the original color break through. 

Everything I’m gathering from the internet suggests as a practice that inbreeding overall isn’t the best approach however from peoples experiences you won’t notice deformities or health issues for the most part unless your a few generations in. I just don’t know how true that is

I was just thinking if I remember correctly and I may not the lemon blue eye L144 came from one single parent born that way and bred to a calico or chocolate maybe?  So if the entire line came about that way that’s already some heavy inbreeding. My sometimes muddled brain says then just occasional accidental breeding and random insertion of outside genetics it should not be much of a problem. I’ve been pondering your topic since I seen it and this random thought popped up so I thought I would share. 

Thank you both for responding, personally my current plan is to just let the male raise the batch for some practice separated in a breeder box so I can monitor them as they grow out for any signs of deformities. I’m going to do a bit more research possibly into some line breeding charts to see exactly how people have done things in the past, however I tend to agree with both of you that it probably won’t be too much of a problem this generation and I also believe it is probably done quite often both intentionally and accidentally in the hobby already

• Thanks 1