Yoyo loaches looks ill

Luis

Hey everyone, 

I’ve  noticed one of my yo-yo loaches has been acting weird these past 2 days.

he was feeding well and then two nights ago he went into a coconut cave and mostly stayed there. 
he’s breathing quickly, his mouth seems slightly swollen and he just lays around without reacting much. He also looks somewhat pale. 

does someone have any experience they could share to successfully get this guy back to full health? 

looking forward to any help

thanks,

luis.  

image.jpg

I also did a 40% water change yesterday as that’s my first reaction when I notice a fish behaving weirdly. 

image.jpg

I also did a 40% water change yesterday as that’s my first reaction when I notice a fish behaving weirdly. 

image.jpg

I am not a med person so can’t help much however in my personal experience and reading loaches can be sensitive to salt because they are scaleless and they absorb it much quicker. Use caution in amounts. If you post this in the disease section there are fantastic folks  who know a lot about illnesses that can help. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 2:15 PM, bettta999 said:

could be some kind of infection what are your water parameters ? and try treating it with some salt because that mouth looks very swollen whats your substrate

I need to restock on my test kit, but I doubt it’s a water issue since all my other fish look perfectly fine. 
I’ll order a new test kit just in case today.

and the substrate is trópica active black substrate. 

On 1/22/2022 at 2:15 PM, bettta999 said:

could be some kind of infection what are your water parameters ? and try treating it with some salt because that mouth looks very swollen whats your substrate

On 1/22/2022 at 2:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

I am not a med person so can’t help much however in my personal experience and reading loaches can be sensitive to salt because they are scaleless and they absorb it much quicker. Use caution in amounts. If you post this in the disease section there are fantastic folks  who know a lot about illnesses that can help. 

Perfect will do. 
I have always been scared to use aquarium salt with the loaches so I’ll have to read into the doses 

On 1/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

I have had the same issue with a couple  my yo-yo loaches. The one ended up dying and the other is getting better. I will be following this thread for sure!

For now I moved him a couple hours ago into a 20 litre quarantine tank with some bits for him to hide under. 
working until late today so hopefully he’s alright when I get back

On 1/22/2022 at 4:09 PM, bettta999 said:

i didnt really now loaches are sesitive to salt but i sure now that good water can cure a lot of things

Yeah, I’m at work now so hopefully I can see how he’s doing when I get back 

• Like 1

Hey everyone, 

My yoyo is alive in his quarantine tank. But he rarely comes out of his cave that I put in. 

sometimes I’ll pop up and see him outside towards the night but then hides away. 

im sure him being in there alone makes him shy. 

he still has pink around his mouth but he’s not breathing as quickly and looks a little more comfortable I would say. 

I’ve been 25% water changes every day, and before I go to sleep I’ll drop in a couple micro pellets in case he’s up for it. 

I think he’s eating a little since the next day the food is not there but it might also be the filter since the pellets are quite small. 

Should I keep doing water changes until his lips go back to normal colour? How do I know when he’s ready to go back into the main tank if he’s always hiding away? 

many thanks,

luis 🤞🏻