Ramshorn treatments

lmhicks101

I currently have an over population of ramshorn and I’m trying to get rid of them. I’m using no-planaria since I also have those in the tank and on day 2. 

I’m not intentionally over feeding them but my tanks heavily planted so plenty of food. I tried assassin snails and no joke the rams ate them. I have 2 dead ones in the front of the tank and the rams hallowed them out. This was before the no planaria treatment. 

I’m considering using the Cupramine if they’re still around. My issue is I have Kuhlis and a little worried about them with the copper. Any suggestions?

Also tried snail traps and plucking them out but I travel for work and when I get back they’re populations back to what it was. 

image.jpg

A50C2D52-8B24-4A00-B371-C69487916A5A.jpeg

First off I love the java loach I have 3 and they are absolutely wonderful. Do you have gravel or sand? if you have sand you could try making a sift. I made one from a few layers of 1/4 inch metal wire mesh, overlaying the layers so the holes were about 1/8th inch wide. I then removed all plants and animals and sifted almost all the snails up. After doing that I removed snails from plants and decor, then I switched up my feeding schedule. I feed my fish larger meals every other day instead of medium sized ones 2 times a day. My fish look healthy, happy, and energetic while the snail population has plummeted. 

• Like 3

It’s sand and thank you. There’s 12 Kuhlis in there. I actually just changed from stratum to the sand a month ago. I treated everything but something snuck through. That tanks heavily planted so no looking forward to having to rescape.

I feed them with the coop auto feeder twice a day and a frozen bloodworm or brine block every other day. 3 spins in the morning and 2 at night. It’s a 29 gallon with 12 Kuhlis, 10 Pygmy corries, 3 ottos, 15-16 cardinals, and 10 harlequins. I feel like they’re eating the plants at this point. 

86E62674-D4EC-4E24-97C7-1C1F8C41AE2A.jpeg

Edited by lmhicks101

Really nice tank  I have had Ramshorn snails  in most of tanks over the years and they have only eaten dead plant matter i like natural methods of control over chemical method such as reduce the amount of food going into the tank add some dawrf chain loach  to control the population   

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 3:09 PM, Colu said:

Really nice tank  I have had Ramshorn snails  in most of tanks over the years and they have only eaten dead plant matter i like natural methods of control over chemical method such as reduce the amount of food going into the tank add some dawrf chain loach  to control the population   

Totally agree! 

@lmhicks101 in my limited experience trying to raise ramshorn snails for my puffers, I've found that they are sensitive to the amount of food in the tank, meaning you'll find they will start dying off pretty quickly if you reduce your feeding schedule. They also eat decaying plant matter rather than healthy plants so if you have any dead leaves in the tank, might be good to get rid of those.