Can I use soda water from a sodapop machine to help my plants on occasion?

JerryP

Greetings,

I'm pretty new to the hobby.  I bought a couple of tanks at a garage sale, in fall of 2020.  Watching stuff grow in them the past year has been a blast.  I like guppys, mystery snails and cherry shrimp.  

Has anyone used sodawater from a pop machine in their aquarium?  I was thinking that used pop machines are pretty cheap, and pretty bullet proof.  I imagine the water input can be tap or ROI, the machine won't care.  Not sure about measuring the amount of gas going into the aquarium, nor am I sure how long it would last.  

I saw a YouTube video where a guy used bottle of soda water and that kind of got me thinking about the subject.  I looked at the bottoms of some soda water in the store and I'm not sure what they put in them besides water and gas.  

Anyway I could use some suggestions on how to set up an  initial experiment to see how it works with my tap water, plants and livestock.  

I attached a couple of pictures of my tanks.  As you can tell I have a lot to learn about aquarium plants!  

PXL_20201123_225710686.jpg

PXL_20210212_203659633.jpg

One intermediate option is to hang a cup upsidedown under the water and then bubble CO2 into the cup.  You then just add CO2 to the cup every few days.  My understanding is this will raise the CO2 but not a crazy ammount so it's pretty safe.

I’ve wondered the same thing. 😄 As my signature says, I’m not afraid of experimentation, so I would probably try it! Just try it in a tank with no fish, just plants, so you can watch and learn what the pH does without suffocating your fish.

From what I understand, using CO2 tends to be a very exacting science, so my guess is this method would be okay for getting plants established in a tank, but not for long term, consistent use.

I think that the occasional CO boost isn't super helpful. Even if it is safe, I am not saying it is, my impression is that most fast acting interventions complicate things.

Maybe CT_ suggestion is a way. Or maybe you can device some dripping or slowly circulating thing that you charge with CO that is  then gradually released to the rank water. But then you'd probably be better of getting a proper set-up anyway!

(I don't add CO₂ myself)

Edited by darkG
  • Like 1