Name this plant

Well I picked this up from a lfs a few months ago there was no one working in the fish room at the time to ask. The colours haven't shown brilliantly in the photo but they are dark green on the top and purple on the underside.

The plant was very cheap and was just the big leaves tied together so I didn't hold much hope for it lasting.

Anyway it has rooted and as you can see new growth so now I figure out what to do with it.

IMG20220115204953_BURST000_COVER.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 9:08 PM, Sumson said:

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like hemigraphis colorata which is not a true aquatic plant and will eventually die underwater.

Might be that or might be Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal plant).  Another that isn’t a true aquatic and always gradually (or quickly) fades.  They both have very similar leaves.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 5:14 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Thanks @Sumson and @Odd Duck. I was surprised it lasted this long  maybe I'll give it's new growth a go outside the tank.

You could also try Guppysnail's approach, and use a suction cup holder so the roots stay immersed, and the leaves are emersed. My El Niño is trying to decide if it wants to be emersed as well. 

• Like 2