I just set up a new tank.

GuppyMan

This has happened to me. I now wash with boiling water. Do large water changes since no fish and your cycle has not started 80-90%. Let it run and repeat this process until bubbling stops. It’s not outright  harmful to inhabitants but I changes the viscosity of the water allow for less dissolved oxygen making it harder on plants and critters. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

You can also use a chopstick and probe the substrate to help it release what gets trapped. Remember sand compacts and traps gasses. Many keepers will do this routinely instead of having massive off gassing events. The other consideration would be a layer of lava rock under the sand to help grow a good biome and help reduce the compaction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:22 AM, GuppyMan said:

I just setup a new tank with sand i washed it thoroughly and when i put it in the tank and added water it mad bubbles it has been a week and they are still there what do i do?

Put paper towels on top of the water to pull any film off the surface. 

Poke the sand 2x daily, until no bubbles come up. If there isn't anything in the tank yet, I second Beardedbillygoat1975 on adding some lava rock and covering it with the sand.

With no fish in the tank, it's more of an annoyance than a danger, and even with fish, gas bubbles go to the surface really quickly and offend us more than the fish.

As soon as you are no longer detecting any ammonia or nitrites, add some blackworms, chopstick snails, or Malaysian trumpet snails to turn the substrate for you. They will mix the mulm into the substrate (sand) so that the mulm can feed your plants. 

• Like 2