Houseplant Pics

Patrick_G

On 1/11/2022 at 3:16 PM, Patrick_G said:

That’s an Asparagus plant. We bought it as a 2” terrarium plant! 

Thanks! My wife and I love to scrounge local estate sales!

Is it?! Ok, what I've been calling my Asparagus Plant is a different plant then! BRB I will get pics lol

IME, both of those plants are sold as asparagus ferns, just because wholesalers like to keep us all hopping, I guess. The one that stands upright is more similar to a real fern, but isn't one. 

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-asparagus-ferns/

The other is often sold as an annual/filler for outdoor containers, but can sometimes be kept successfully as a houseplant as long as you can tolerate the needle drop...

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/asparagus/proven-accents-asparagus-fern-asparagus-densiflorous-sprengeri

I have 63 houseplants at the moment, not counting tank pothos or the plants in my office (I just took a census after sending several to Valhalla before the first frost). 

The apple of my eye is my hoya obovata, with the big oval leaves in the middle of the first shot. it was just two leaves when I bought it three years ago and it has slowly but steadily grown while looking perfect every day. Can't beat it!

:plantswindow.jpg.ef1a934092fd511b7b171c9583e56c1e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 1/11/2022 at 7:13 PM, PineSong said:

The apple of my eye is my hoya obovata, with the big oval leaves in the middle of the first shot. it was just two leaves when I bought it three years ago and it has slowly but steadily grown while looking perfect every day. Can't beat it!

It looks really nice. My mom has a couple of Hoyas that are probably 50 years old. The Blossoms are incredible! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/11/2022 at 10:13 PM, PineSong said:

IME, both of those plants are sold as asparagus ferns, just because wholesalers like to keep us all hopping, I guess. The one that stands upright is more similar to a real fern, but isn't one. 

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-asparagus-ferns/

The other is often sold as an annual/filler for outdoor containers, but can sometimes be kept successfully as a houseplant as long as you can tolerate the needle drop...

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/asparagus/proven-accents-asparagus-fern-asparagus-densiflorous-sprengeri

I have 63 houseplants at the moment, not counting tank pothos or the plants in my office (I just took a census after sending several to Valhalla before the first frost). 

Beautiful! I love that you don't count the pothos lol

Thank you for providing the information about the two asparagus plants. I now know that one is an asparagus plant (that is apparently struggling lol), and the other is an asparagus fern! I am happy to know this information.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:13 PM, PineSong said:

"The apple of my eye is my hoya obovata, with the big oval leaves in the middle of the first shot. it was just two leaves when I bought it three years ago and it has slowly but steadily grown while looking perfect every day. Can't beat it!"

I think my mom has a similar plant. I don't know what it is, specifically, but she's always referred to it as a "Hoya". She has had it since the late 80s/early 90s, if I recall correctly. I am pretty sure the plant is older than me!

(93 baby, for context, who is living back home because of the pandemic... 🙃).

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 11.39.57 AM.png

• Love 2

On 1/12/2022 at 8:42 AM, BeetleLann said:

I think my mom has a similar plant. I don't know what it is, specifically, but she's always referred to it as a "Hoya". She has had it since the late 80s/early 90s, if I recall correctly. I am pretty sure the plant is older than

It’s amazing how long they live. I’m 50 and I’m sure the plant has been around as long as I can remember. 

So both of the plants that @Patrick_G and @BeetleLann have are indeed Asparagus (italicized because they are both species in the genus, obviously not the culinary species though).  They are just different ornamental species.  There are a number of them used for that purpose.

Not sure if these count as "house plants" because they are in special setups, but I have a few carnivorous plants:

510497569_HeliDec21.JPG.f8637206bb916ac99852251d652ceee4.JPG

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 1/12/2022 at 11:42 AM, BeetleLann said:

I think my mom has a similar plant. I don't know what it is, specifically, but she's always referred to it as a "Hoya". She has had it since the late 80s/early 90s, if I recall correctly. I am pretty sure the plant is older than me!

(93 baby, for context, who is living back home because of the pandemic... 🙃).

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 11.39.57 AM.png

Yup, that's a hoya, too. When they bloom, it looks like plastic flowers have appeared by magic on the plant. I was so confused the first time it happened!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2022 at 5:33 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Not sure if these count as "house plants" because they are in special setups, but I have a few carnivorous plants:

Nice! I have a little patch of Sar in a bowl on my deck. This year I have plans to expand a bit. I’m thinking maybe a tub with a bog section.

3FCB29B7-5DC6-46FF-ADD9-3DF9F1374C26.jpeg.2be28333b7a34e460148daba6be42cd2.jpeg

On 1/13/2022 at 6:59 AM, JMiller2020 said:

Very very nice. Since I moved to this house I have no good areas for sun because of the way the house is positioned.  The only good windows are not good spots for plants. I guess I always could get lighting. But very inspired by your collection. 

Some plants like peace Lilly don’t need much light, and plant lights can be pretty cheap on amazon. I’d give it a try 😀

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:40 AM, Patrick_G said:

Nice! I have a little patch of Sar in a bowl on my deck. This year I have plans to expand a bit. I’m thinking maybe a tub with a bog section.

Nice looking Sarrs!  I have 4 tubs of them.  They live outside in the summer and overwinter in the garage to prevent them from freezing.  This autumn god cold fast, and they look a bit rough right now.  Well, mine never look as nice as your display.  I don't really keep CP in display setups.  That's for fish!  😜

If you want to talk to some folks in your neck of the woods about CP, I can't recommend the Carnivorous Plant Society of Canada forum enough.  I used to call it the friendliest place on the internet, but this forum pretty equivalent for kindness.  There are a bunch of folks in and around Vancouver, BC on there.  I realize that crossing international borders is more challenging, especially now, but they have similar conditions and would likely have useful input. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 9:35 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

If you want to talk to some folks in your neck of the woods about CP, I can't recommend the Carnivorous Plant Society of Canada forum enough.  I used to call it the friendliest place on the internet, but this forum pretty equivalent for kindness.  There are a bunch of folks in and around Vancouver, BC on there.  I realize that crossing international borders is more challenging, especially now, but they have similar conditions and would likely have useful input. 

Thanks! I’m going to check it out. This fall we found a nearby nursery that has a good selection so I could see more CP in my future. 

• Like 1