Easy green

On 1/1/2022 at 3:37 PM, Irene said:

I usually just measure my nitrate to see how much to add and shoot for 40-50 ppm nitrate (as long as I have plenty of plants and not a huge bioload from animals).

Kind of a silly question.  Do you start with the 1 pump per gallon, test then add an additional pump and test until you get 40-50 nitrate? 

I would just dose the incoming water per directions. So if you removed 10 gallons, and replaced 10 gallons, just dose 1 pump. If you are consistent with your water changes, this "front loading" strategy works very well and maintains stability slightly better. 40 to 50 ppm NO3 is too high. I don't know of any strictly maintained tanks running such high NO3. I'd imagine that recommendation is to compensate for such low PPM of PO4 and K in Easy Green.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:49 AM, Khole new fish said:

I ask because my tank is only 3.5 gallon planted tank and i am new at this, thank you all for your advice

The directions on the bottle say 1 pump per 10 gallons of water, so I usually try to do a half pump or less for a tank that size.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:48 AM, Irene said:

The directions on the bottle say 1 pump per 10 gallons of water, so I usually try to do a half pump or less for a tank that size.

I often use a trick I learned on the forum. I’ll put one pump into one cup of water and then dose an amount of that solution proportionate to the tank size. So my three gallon tanks gets 1/3 cup. 

• Like 3