Trimming Aqueon Frameless Cube Tank Lid

Stef

Hi. I currently have 3 six gal frameless cube tanks that I’ve finally settled on the clip lights and their placement. I’d like to now custom trim that back plastic portion of the lid so it lays flat and the Finnex light, heater cord and air line tubing have a notch cut out. My question is what’s the best tool to cleanly cut through? Sharp scissors?  Tin snips? Exacto knife?  I don’t want sharp jagged edges and I don’t have any other pieces to “practice” on. 

4CAB217B-F210-4AF7-84B6-571E97E47324.jpeg

I’ve cut mine with a set of heavy-duty kitchen scissors, and it was tough but doable with strongish hands. If you have access to a Dremel tool, or know someone who has one, I would probably recommend that. 

Just make sure that you mark the areas you want cut so that you can easily see what needs to go. And remember, measure twice and cut once 😁

Good luck!

• Love 1

My hubby has a small band saw that I use to make cuts into the plastic, then I use a Dremel tool to remove that section if it’s short (which yours would be) or I use the saw to cut at an angle, then nibble away at it until I get it flat inside the slot.  Then I use a green 3M sanding pad (it’s like the green side of a scrubbing sponge) to smooth the corners more.

If you don’t have access to power tools, then I would use a hacksaw for creating the notch, and sandpaper to refine it.

Let me do a series of drawings to show how I would approach it with a hacksaw.  These will be crude drawings showing the lines I would follow for each saw cut.  The arrows point to the beginning of each cut.

D6B30BF0-3731-4353-892C-9BDFA9795E14.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks @Odd Duck and @RadMax8 the drawing and explanations are spot on. Would you make separate cuts for heater cord and air line tube or just make the opening for the light bigger to accommodate all three devices?  My sponge filter and heater are on the right side hidden behind a tall ish seriyu stone and the light box/casing is on the left. Haven’t decided what would be cleaner looking. One of the tanks is on my new kitchen island. 

I have a dremel and a hacksaw and some regular fine grit sand paper. 

I’ve done it both ways depending on the tank and accessories configuration.  I’ve even cut one with a tiny bump that goes into the filter outflow when I got a young plakat Betta that I was worried could be a jumper.  Bettas are pros at slipping out of the tiniest gap.  I did that on one I had to rig from 2 pieces of plastic strip since I didn’t have a new one to cut (the previous one was cut differently by the previous owner of the tank).  It’s not fancy, but it works.  My phone focused beautifully on the tip of that pothos leaf, apparently.  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ But you can still see how I narrowed that gap as much as I possibly could for a skinny, little boy Betta.

3DFB6B25-ED33-448B-99D0-F0464D941C20.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 1