Fluval stratum Help!!

Cohen

I just purchased some food for Stratham, and had lightly rinsed it and I filled my tank all the way up it is so cloudy. I did use a strainer to rinse it I only rinsed it lightly as the bag said. Now I have a huge mess, what should I do please help

10ADC940-FC04-4684-8941-B8656D5DCB68.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 12:13 PM, Cohen said:

I just purchased some food for Stratham, and had lightly rinsed it and I filled my tank all the way up it is so cloudy. I did use a strainer to rinse it I only rinsed it lightly as the bag said. Now I have a huge mess, what should I do please help

10ADC940-FC04-4684-8941-B8656D5DCB68.jpeg

Wow, that’s brown!

I too purchased Fluval Stratum.  I hadn’t put it in the tank yet, but red a few article and I am choosing not to rinse it when I start scaping.

Wow!  It will settle and if you add a filter with poly floss it will clear.

Don’t rinse Fluval stratum! 

AGAIN

don’t rinse Fluval stratum!

I’m aware that Fluval says you can rinse it lightly but I would not. Stratum is volcanic dirt baked in the form of little round balls, so once it gets wet it acts like a sponge and begins to disintegrate like dirt.  Fluval says it will last two years Before it separates.   All the brown is all the micro-nutrients that you’re washing out of the dirt.  (You’ll may have to add some root tabs prematurely depending how deep your substrate is.
     A regular filter will easily remove any dust particles or other stuff that might be in the bag at the time of packing. You should also run your aquarium for a good 7 to 10 days in my opinion before adding any fish after you put Servall stratum as your substrate . Enclosed is a picture of my Fluval stratum I unrinsed underwater and soaking  as I do my aqua scape.

I will have to add Co2 and am still looking for cheap machines; I may go with a reactor system because once I load up the tank with fish (30+) I should not need Co2… thoughts on that last part.

6CB233E0-7E59-4D46-A62B-B5ED7C637C6E.jpeg