Dirted tank w/ Flourite Sand

Shade

Will my Flourite absorb any of the nutrients leeched from my soul. I set up a rubbermaid 50G tub to grow out some Crypts and I thought that a dirted tank would be the easiest to grow the plants and wanted to use Flourite Sand for the added iron. I have ~1"+ of soil with a top of pool filter sand x Flourite black sand 2"+ deep. I thought that some of the nutrients leeching from the soil might get caught in the Flourite (bc of the CEC) but I wanted to know if it is true at all or if it is so minimal that it would not make a difference. Thank you all in advance. 

• 2 months later...

Got to try out my substrate mix in my 150gallon 5'x2.5' tank and I thought I did an amazing job (for myself) in aquascaping the tank and then most of the crypts melted back pretty bad and showed me just how badi really planted them lol. Can't wait for them to fill it back up though. Learning is a journey but at least it's fun. 

PXL_20201125_214612908.jpg

PXL_20201209_220622079.MP.jpg

• Like 2

been wondering how something like this would work, more specifically a crushed coral eco complete cap for a dirted tank, than the fluorite sand blend you used, though they have similar cec. 

This is all theory I’ve been thinking about, but With the soil at a 40-100 cec but over saturated with nutrients, initially there will be excess nutrients, with the fluorite or eco complete at around 7-11 cec I would think work as a buffer for the early stages of a dirted tank helping reduce the likely hood of algae in combination with water changes while perhaps also shortening cycling .

Going to try the crushed coral eco cap for my next dirted, I’m wondering, What kind of lighting did you use, how long did you cycle the tank before planting it, and did you notice any algae issues?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

been wondering how something like this would work, more specifically a crushed coral eco complete cap for a dirted tank, than the fluorite sand blend you used, though they have similar cec. 

This is all theory I’ve been thinking about, but With the soil at a 40-100 cec but over saturated with nutrients, initially there will be excess nutrients, with the fluorite or eco complete at around 7-11 cec I would think work as a buffer for the early stages of a dirted tank helping reduce the likely hood of algae in combination with water changes while perhaps also shortening cycling .

Going to try the crushed coral eco cap for my next dirted, I’m wondering, What kind of lighting did you use, how long did you cycle the tank before planting it, and did you notice any algae issues?

In my first one I let the substrate sit for a couple months before putting water and plants in it. I never did a water change in that one and need australian desert gobies in it lol. ¡I have Ohio water tho! What water/where do you get it? In my 150 I set the dirt mix for about a month but I capped it when I set it up and put fish and bio-filtration in right away and just did water changes as needed for mostly the plants as the crypts fell apart at first. In my 150 I use a Dustin's Planted Tank light at lower power and algae is mostly only eat n the wood and very little in front glass. My first one the tub had a stingray light and never got algae. Hope this helps of you can follow it lol looking forward to hearing about your experience. This was the tub. 

PXL_20201124_162025291.MP.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattyIce said:

Using larger grain to cap I would make sure it is deep enough to not let dirt freely leech into the water. The eco-complete/flourite just helps to elongate the substrate, as it probably pull very little from the dirt but should do so long after the dirt is "dry". In my experience if the cap is good then the dirt shouldn't noticeably effect the water parameters just make a better environment for the plants' roots, but the crushed coral will probably effect the water more depending on how soft your water is. As long as you balance the crushed coral with your water changes (if you religiously do them) you shouldn't have too much trouble. But the most important part would probably be the soul/dirt you are using. Mine didn't have as much water soluble nitrogen and ammonia so that made it easier.