algae growth

LVELEZ27

Maybe someone can help me understand. If algae growth is typically from an excess of nutrition why would I keep dosing all in one liquid fertilizer. Would'nt that keep the trend of excess nutrients? I have algae growth on my plants as well as my glass. I have a good cycled system with frequent water changes. 

any insight would help. thanks

Edited by LVELEZ27

The liquid fertilizer is designed to provide the missing nutrients and help the plants use up the excess nitrates from fish and food waste. Reducing the amount of food for the algae.

Algae will grow if you have an excess of anything (or any one thing )as it is very simple and has a form that suits many environments. 

So more light or food than your plants need = alage.  Fertz might reduce the excess and reduce the alage or you may have to do more tweaking

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 4:23 PM, LVELEZ27 said:

Maybe someone can help me understand. If algae growth is typically from an excess of nutrition why would I keep dosing all in one liquid fertilizer. Would'nt that keep the trend of excess nutrients? I have algae growth on my plants as well as my glass. I have a good cycled system with frequent water changes. 

any insight would help. thanks

I thought that it seems counterintuitive, but I've seen the results in my own tank. I had black beard algae on my plants until I started fertilizing 2x per week (half the weekly dose each time) instead of "whenever" or 1x per week. After 3 months, my wendelov java ferns were not much larger than when I bought them, and were clogged with black algae. Now they are big, green, and growing.

A larger plant requires more nutrients and so pulls more fish waste out of the system. My understanding of the impact of ferts on my tank is that the fertilizer is a way of making the plant larger and providing a full nutrient spectrum so it's healthier, grows more and therefore uses more. 

Having excess nutrients does not cause algae. This has been proven many times over and Estimative Index dosing revolves around supplying excess nutrients to the tank. 

Light drives demand

Plants demand nutrients

CO2 is a nutrient

CO2 is always the limiting factor in low energy tanks (in the presence of enough NPK and Micros)

If demand is high, CO2 must be high

If CO2 is low, demand must be low 

All other nutrients just need to be there.

Demand must match availability, if something is unavailable-algae

Excessive organics that plants don't use-algae

Water changes and gravel vacuuming removes excessive organics 

• Like 1