Stocking Ideas - Fluval Spec 2.6 gal

missriss126

After some rough mental health and a bit of burn out for most of the year, I am finally feeling better and reinvigorated for the hobby. I've had a brand new Fluval Spec 2.6 gal collecting dust. Grabbed it on clearance from my local petco for $12! My favorite part of this hobby is setting up new tanks. The question is, what should I stock it with? It will be planted, but with the more vertical design of the tank I wasn't sure if it would be okay for nano fish of any sort, or if I should stick to doing a shrimp colony... What would you do?

• Love 2

This tank sounds perfect for about three MALE guppies. It's too small for breeding so make sure it's all males in there. There are some very attractive guppies for sale on-line from reputable breeders if you look for them. After a long while you could add some shrimps. That's what I would do.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 7:42 PM, missriss126 said:

After some rough mental health and a bit of burn out for most of the year, I am finally feeling better and reinvigorated for the hobby. I've had a brand new Fluval Spec 2.6 gal collecting dust. Grabbed it on clearance from my local petco for $12! My favorite part of this hobby is setting up new tanks. The question is, what should I stock it with? It will be planted, but with the more vertical design of the tank I wasn't sure if it would be okay for nano fish of any sort, or if I should stick to doing a shrimp colony... What would you do?

I would personally go for a neocaridina colony. There are so many fun ones to choose from. Be mindful of a certain type of tension that occurs between aquascaping versus a thriving community. Shrimp, for example, tend to do well in established tanks that aren't typically the best-looking. If you're attentive, you can figure out how to balance this out. I've found that you cannot go wrong with ample Java Moss and some Najas (Guppy Grass).

• Like 7

I second the shrimp tank idea - you may have to get creative with a way to keep the babies out of the back chamber (to save them from the pump), but they make great little shrimp tanks.

Three male endlers or male least killies would likely do well - it's on the smaller side, but definitely doable with the right maintenance schedule and some live plants.

A more unique idea may be a trio of Clown Killis, 1 male and 2 females. Again, on the slightly smaller side, but not so hard if you're willing to put the maintenance behind it.

Last idea - a Dwarf Mexican Crayfish. People swear that they need larger tanks, but I've kept them in standard 2.5 gallons before with no water quality problems, even with a relaxed water change schedule. They'll kinda tear up your plants, but they make very interesting critters to have on a desk or something. Since it's a vertical tank, I might recommend getting a piece of spiderwood or something similar for it to climb over - they'll climb and hang off of decor sometimes.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2021 at 8:48 PM, Fish Folk said:

I would personally go for a neocaridina colony. There are so many fun ones to choose from. Be mindful of a certain type of tension that occurs between aquascaping versus a thriving community. Shrimp, for example, tend to do well in established tanks that aren't typically the best-looking. If you're attentive, you can figure out how to balance this out. I've found that you cannot go wrong with ample Java Moss and some Najas (Guppy Grass).

Yes, I was also thinking something along these lines, and not doing what I did in my 20 gallon (My wife wanted a skittles tank, which while fun, it takes so long for neat looking shrimplets to start appearing!) LOL 
A colony of blue dream would be very cool... 

On 12/19/2021 at 9:38 PM, Chris said:

I second the shrimp tank idea - you may have to get creative with a way to keep the babies out of the back chamber (to save them from the pump), but they make great little shrimp tanks.

This is the biggest thing deterring me from shrimp... How create would I have to get exactly? 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 4:41 PM, missriss126 said:

Yes, I was also thinking something along these lines, and not doing what I did in my 20 gallon (My wife wanted a skittles tank, which while fun, it takes so long for neat looking shrimplets to start appearing!) LOL 
A colony of blue dream would be very cool... 

This is the biggest thing deterring me from shrimp... How create would I have to get exactly? 

I'd imagine simply getting some fine mesh/netting from a craft store and tying it to the filter intake would be enough to keep the majority of the babies safe. Just gotta make sure it's really fine, and you'll have to check it for clogging/replace it fairly often. You may be able to just shove a sponge behind the wall against the intake, but I'm not sure how secure that'd be, and it'd still clog eventually.

Alternatively, you may be able to replace the water pump with an airlift tube - get some hard plastic tubing, an airstone, and replace the flexible tube and pump it comes with with that.

You can look at the Co-op's mini pond build for a tutorial of how to make an airlift tube, but you'll have to come up with your materials and measurements yourself. You wouldn't have to worry about the 90 degree elbow at the bottom or the connector - a simple piece of PVC with an airstone drilled through the bottom should be sufficient. You could even save the bendable tube that the tank comes with and use that to connect the hard tube to the filter output instead of worrying about bending the tubing or using an elbow on top. I

Edited by Chris

My vote is for least killifish (no heater needed) or neocaridina (no heater needed) 🙂 

I wonder if anyone with an aquarium in your area has a really neat old stone or two with algae, biofilm, diatoms, etc. growing on it already. I just saw a cool display tank at an LFS - about 8 gallons - only bright red neocaridinas, with just nice gravel and stone work, with little bits of moss and a few epiphytes / nano river type plants, and the stones had this beautiful green patina. The tank was gorgeous and chock-full of really nice looking shrimp.

I am in the market for some least killifish so they are on my mind. It seems as though they are so tiny but also interesting to watch with nice muted natural colors that would look cool in a densely planted tank. They won't stand out, but they will be cool denizens of a miniature jungle in your Spec. 

You could always split the difference and take 2 killifish and a handful of shrimp 🙂 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2.5 gal bow front tank that was originally going to be a hospital/quarantine tank. It's now my neocardina shrimp colony and flourishing. I decided to try some nano fish that could also handle cooler and harder water, went with male endlers. Lots of fun and visual interest, no issues with adults or shrimplets, happy to say. I've got 4 males. May move out one more but they seem fine. My plants took off so it's a bit jungle-like for viewing, but everyone really happy. I put a sponge on the filter intake to lower flow and make it safer for shrimplets. I have 2 5gal portrait tanks as well, but am enjoying the setup the most right now.20211226_114445.jpg.1aecff1fe1cd743caf16244578e2ca41.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just ordered a spec 2.6 gallon tank from Amazon. I was doing some research about the opening slots and how to prevent shrimp crawling through. I found a great article that said to buy 20 gauge stainless steel mesh and cut up approximately the size of the intake opening. Then she bent the mesh to hang on the plastic backing either in the front or the back. She said if you get it good and tight, it will still allow water flow and the shrimp won't get through. I ordered some mesh from Amazon and I'm planning to do that. I only have shrimp for that tank.