Expel-P caused cloudy water

Ocellaris

I use expel p on my tank and the next day it was very cloudy. So I just let it go and did the recommended water change after one day and I added carbon which I usually do not run to try and take the cloudiness out. I fail. It has been about a week the water is still cloudy. Has anyone else experienced this. Before and after below.  The after is after water changes. It was much worse. 

20211205_182648.jpg

20211217_200643.jpg

Yes parameters remain constant 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate all other parameters constant g h k h p h

I did add polyfill to The Hangover back with the carbon I disfigured throw the carbon in cuz I have bags have it from buying filters. I mean I'm sure it's just the waiting game I'm more less wondering if anybody else has experienced that since they claimed it does not make the water cloudy, but I'm here to tell you it does LOL

On 12/18/2021 at 9:11 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I just used Expel P yesterday in my Flex9 on a suspected parasite infection. I didn't have any clouding problem today and did the water change- I was actually impressed with how clear the water was- not that it wasn't before but it seemed more clear. Weird.

What kind of filtration do you have? 

On 12/18/2021 at 9:26 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

In that tank I have the submersible pump (aftermarket one as the Flex9 original pump stopped working and wasn't variable), modified coarse sponge in center chamber with biorings and crushed coral and a ACO nano sponge filter in the main chamber @PineSong

Hmmm. I don't know then what would cause the difference then. I also have sponge filters in my tanks and have gotten cloudy water from meds on many occasions. I wonder if the meds could just kind of attach to mineral content or even fish waste/solids in the water and make it look cloudy, and since I may be an overfeeder when I have fish in QT especially, maybe that makes mine cloud up where yours do not.

Well, I think too @PineSong it depends on the meds. Some meds are fine- but for example I'm using Kanaplex right now in a QT tank and it makes the water a bit cloudy. It's filtered by a fairly large sponge. I think what you said could be part of it. I also think sometimes it's a particular batch of medication too. Most manufacturers will mention if it will cloud the water or cause discoloration. I don't remember reading that Expel does.... @Ocellaris did you also turn off your lights for the 24 hour treatment period? 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1