Good fish to breed with high ph.

Taco Playz

A while ago I made a post about breeding fish in a ten gallon. I wanted to do rams or kribs. I set up the tank and it's been running for about 2 weeks now. I got some oak leaves, boiled them, and put them at the bottom of my tank. The tank already is brown and from what I have heard normally tannins lower ph but my ph is 7.6- 8.0. The leaves have been in for about 5 days now. I wanted to breed golden rams but from what I have heard the like really low ph. Will the tannins bring down the ph or should I just pick a fish that likes high ph to breed. Thanks, sorry if this is a bit confusing.

I can stuff my tank with almond leaves. Because I have hard water high kh there is no discernible able affect on my ph. It stays 7.4-7.6 which matches my tap. It is easier especially when it comes to water changes to breed what likes your water. I’m too lazy to try to accommodate fish that won’t thrive in my water to be honest. There are a lot of folks on here that are successful doing it though. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Typo as always 🤣
  • Like 1

My ph in different tanks differs. For an example in my White Cloud tank the ph is 5.6. Then it goes to this tank which it is 8.0. Also I tested the Ammonia in the 10 gallon and the water turned out brown. I was thinking it was because of the tannins but I had no idea. 

It seems your ammonia is too high this is a problem I have to watch out for in my blackwater tanks.

To breed blackwater fish, your best course of action would be to use RODI water, the RODI water I use has a pH of 6.0. 

Boiling Oak leaves may release the tannins sooner, but is unnecessary, just drop the leaves on top of the water and they will sink after a couple of days and release tannins. Since you know what an Oak tree looks like, go back and pick up some of the limbs that have fallen off of the tree, they don't have to be very thick, but they'll release tannins also and mine look better than any Mopani wood or Driftwood I have. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 3:32 PM, Gator said:

It seems your ammonia is too high this is a problem I have to watch out for in my blackwater tanks.

To breed blackwater fish, your best course of action would be to use RODI water, the RODI water I use has a pH of 6.0. 

Boiling Oak leaves may release the tannins sooner, but is unnecessary, just drop the leaves on top of the water and they will sink after a couple of days and release tannins. Since you know what an Oak tree looks like, go back and pick up some of the limbs that have fallen off of the tree, they don't have to be very thick, but they'll release tannins also and mine look better than any Mopani wood or Driftwood I have. 

So brown water on the tester means high ammonia?

It was darker earlier I tested about a hour ago.

1FA69835-7592-4C29-ACEA-CB9A36F6FF2E.jpeg

Now that I put it under the light it looks lighter.

F4673EF8-898A-4E14-8011-C1B9FB1F2A99.jpeg

Any fish that is "flashy": has neon like bright colors or reflective silver, looks great in the dark tannin tanks.

The endlers I have breeding look phenomenal as they disappear and reappear in the water.

Livebearers, and many of the NANF (north American native fish) require harder water and stay a lot healthier with the tannins. TBH, there are more fish that thrive in harder, high/neutral pH than fish that need soft, low pH water.

The problem is, the softwater neon tetras and discus are some of the most photographed, and people get hung up on wanting them... missing out on literally hundreds of other options. 

• Like 1