Moving My Betta Fish

Camryn Lawrence

Hey, I have a question, so I am moving my bettas' fish tank down the block (one minute away) and I was wondering if there is an easier way to move the tank rather than boxing up the tank, bagging the fish and all of that just to move the fish a minute away. Like could I somehow keep the fish still it the tank, I don't know. Thanks. 

You could probably drain the tank down to about an inch or two. Just being careful when you lift it. 

I would suggest to put the betta in a cup that way if you do drop the tank the betta himself is still fine. Ive found bettas to be easy to catch. They are slow with their long flowly finns. And I often put my finger in as bait (the betta thinking its food) and then quickly scoop him with the cup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@James Black cup method works. I used a pitcher or a cup slow movements and Bruno swam in out of curiosity. Bruno’s tanks was relocated from my niece’s house 2 miles away to mine for a few months. She drained it as James said and brought it with 2 inches of water and gravel still in. I do recommend a small Tupperware or Rubbermaid container with a lid. Some Bettas are known to be jumpers and the moving may frighten it enough to cause jumping. 

Ps moving the tank with the fish in it in my opinion would be dangerous to the fish. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't feel good about transporting a tank with substrate and even partial water unless it was a small tank (maybe 5 or less).   I'd be scared of the bottom twisting and cracking during lifting and transport. 

But I'm not speaking from experience. 

If I had to move a fish, I think a betta is the easiest to move. A cup with a lid should suffice.  Just my opinion based on no experience. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2021 at 7:00 PM, Camryn Lawrence said:

Hey, I have a question, so I am moving my bettas' fish tank down the block (one minute away) and I was wondering if there is an easier way to move the tank rather than boxing up the tank, bagging the fish and all of that just to move the fish a minute away. Like could I somehow keep the fish still it the tank, I don't know. Thanks. 

How big is the tank?

And how are you transporting?

Refardless, I do recommend catching the fish and transporting in a betta cup or some other closeable container to prevent jumping and to keep safe in the event of an accident. 

Depending on type and size of tank, I can answer the rest of your questions. 

• Like 1

Over that distance imo you'll have to catch them out. I've done fish-in moves of 10-20 gallon tanks, you need to have two people shuffling super slowly to minimize water motion. Wouldn't recommend it for more than a couple hundred feet or so and no way I would put a tank with any water in it in a vehicle knowing I could have to slam on the brakes at any moment. There's a real risk that someone gets squished by tank decor and it's definitely stressful for the fish (then again, so is any other method). It is, however, way easier than putting everything back together again.

If you're going to disassemble i recommend putting your filter, decor et. al into a bucket with the tank water. It should help keep your bacteria alive.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 9:48 AM, Camryn Lawrence said:

@TorreyHer tank is 5 gallons 

Then carrying the tank once you drain most of the water should be pretty easy. 

Glass will actually be more stable than plastic, just be sure it doesn't get dinged. For such a short distance, I would catch the betta for the bettas protection and put in a betta cup or a bag (like a fish version of a carseat for safety).

Drain most of the water (I would probably keep a couple of gallons of water in clean bucket, to pour back into the tank. Put the filter in the bucket of water to keep the beneficial bacteria alive).

If walking the couple of blocks, you will appreciate the tank being mostly emptied. If driving, cushion/support the tank so it doesn't tip over *and* it doesn't get dinged.

Set back up at the new place, add the water, filter & heater, and let it heat up then add your betta.

Easiest method I was able to develop. 

• 3 weeks later...