So trying to figure out best way to get more turnaround

Leo2o915

It's not necessary. It'll break down over time and get absorbed by plants, and, if required, you can always siphon it out manually. 

If you're particularly concerned about it piling up maybe using fish that sift sand would be a good idea. These will help it break down and smaller particles will enter the water column. Your tank looks rather lightly stocked, maybe consider a cichlid. Geophagus are great for it, but so are most cichlids. A pair of kribs add a lot to nearly any tank, though they are aggressive spawners.

Edited by BigSkrimp
Clarification

On 12/13/2021 at 11:24 AM, Cory said:

Why do you want the poop in the water column?

Get it sucked in by the filter or sponge filters  keep it a little cleaner 

On 12/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, BigSkrimp said:

It's not necessary. It'll break down over time, and get absorbed by plants and if required you can always siphon it out manually. 

If you're particularly concerned about it piling up maybe using fish that sift sand would be a good idea. These will help it break down and smaller particles will enter the water column. Your tank looks rather lightly stocked, maybe consider a cichlid. Geophagus are great for it, but so are most cichlids. A pair of kribs add a lot to nearly any tank, though they are aggressive spawners.

Was thinking of doing that I have some German blue Rams in QT will be adding a pair too that tank was also thinking corydoras but the tank at 83degrees to 84 for these L471 so heard corydoras don’t like that temp heard they can tolerate it but won’t thrive in it 

On 12/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, BigSkrimp said:

It's not necessary. It'll break down over time, and get absorbed by plants and if required you can always siphon it out manually. 

Was thinking of doing that I have some German blue Rams in QT will be adding a pair too that tank was also thinking corydoras but the tank at 83degrees to 84 for these L471 so heard corydoras don’t like that temp heard they can tolerate it but won’t thrive in it 

On 12/13/2021 at 7:30 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Get it sucked in by the filter or sponge filters  keep it a little cleaner 

Was thinking of doing that I have some German blue Rams in QT will be adding a pair too that tank was also thinking corydoras but the tank at 83degrees to 84 for these L471 so heard corydoras don’t like that temp heard they can tolerate it but won’t thrive in it 

That temperature is indeed high for most corydoras, adolfoi are the ones I usually stock in higher temperature tanks but I would probably just go with the rams, mine do a decent job of milling the substrate surface. 

See how it goes, but I don't think you need to worry about increasing low down flow. It's a bit of a cop out, but if it really bothers you just add more plants, jungle Val makes any tank look good. Heavy root feeders and a deep sand bed are my go to! 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 11:37 AM, BigSkrimp said:

That temperature is indeed high for most corydoras, adolfoi are the ones I usually stock in higher temperature tanks but I would probably just go with the rams, mine do a decent job of milling the substrate surface. 

See how it goes, but I don't think you need to worry about increasing low down flow. It's a bit of a cop out, but if it really bothers you just add more plants, jungle Val makes any tank look good. Heavy root feeders and a deep sand bed are my go to! 

Rams or apistos ? Or is their a small Geophagus that I can add 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:25 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Rams or apistos ? Or is their a small Geophagus that I can add 

Hmm, depends. Bolivian rams sift sand really well, but your temps are a bit high for them. German blues do, but a bit less, at least in my case. 

What are you parameters and stock list? Tank size etc? 1 male apisto and 3 females would be excellent for viewing and sand sifting, just depends if your tank can handle that. 

In any case rest assured rams and apistos are both great choices and will add a lot of life to your aquarium.

Edit: Geophagus parnaibae are the amongst the smallest, they'll fit in your tank, if you can find them. But having took a second look I think sticking to your initial plan of GB rams will be best for the time being. If you have the opportunity you can always set up another tank for the rams in the future, and then put a haram of apistos in that one.

Edited by BigSkrimp

On 12/13/2021 at 1:52 PM, BigSkrimp said:

Hmm, depends. Bolivian rams sift sand really well, but your temps are a bit high for them. German blues do, but a bit less, at least in my case. 

What are you parameters and stock list? Tank size etc? 1 male apisto and 3 females would be excellent for viewing and sand sifting, just depends if your tank can handle that. 

In any case rest assured rams and apistos are both great choices and will add a lot of life to your aquarium.

Edit: Geophagus parnaibae are the amongst the smallest, they'll fit in your tank, if you can find them. But having took a second look I think sticking to your initial plan of GB rams will be best for the time being. If you have the opportunity you can always set up another tank for the rams in the future, and then put a haram of apistos in that one.

It’s a 40 breeder with a group of 5 L471 which they only get to the size of 2.5 inches to 3 the most for males and 15 cochu  tetras what’s a good apisto to get 

On 12/14/2021 at 2:16 AM, Leo2o915 said:

It’s a 40 breeder with a group of 5 L471 which they only get to the size of 2.5 inches to 3 the most for males and 15 cochu  tetras what’s a good apisto to get 

I personally prefer cacatuoides, although basic they're really good fish that love to sift sand, usually the easiest to find and also the cheapest. Macmasteri and Agassizii are also great.