Med Trio Question

ccurtis

So I have have never really treated fish with meds unless I actually saw a problem. The more I have been watching Cory’s videos and learning about fish and diseases, I figured I should be more active in quarantining and running the med trio when I get new fish. However, because I plan to adopt this practice from hereon, I felt it was necessary to run the quarantine med trio in my tanks now to make sure I have a clean slate with all my fish. I added the med trio meds last night, based on Cory’s instructions in his video about quarantining and the using the med trio.  After about 24 hours, my water has gotten very cloudy. Is this normal when running the med trio? 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Doesn't sound normal, some clouding but "very cloudy" has me a little concerned. I'd test the water to be sure you don't have any spikes going on currently. Perhaps there were worms in the substrate? That's the only time I've had super cloudy water is when live black worms died in the substrate.  Any pictures?

@Cory thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s live worms, I haven’t fed live foods. Typically feed frozen, flake, and pellets. 

Tested the water, my 29 gallon and 125 both looks the same. The 125 is stocked a bit heavier than the 125 so the nitrates are a little higher maybe between 10 and 20ppm. But the 29 the are between 5 and 10ppm. Ammonia and nitrite 0 on both.  I added some pics.  

I feel it looks a little cloudier in person than the pics. But the fish seem to be acting pretty normal.  

1956BDAE-6031-405D-BB5B-0E1907DDFC3A.jpeg

4B7AC865-CC43-4672-AFDA-003812C93E0A.jpeg

DF886616-6FAD-44C4-9418-EDC438BF9894.jpeg

ABB9B1E2-68E7-4EF6-84D5-C3263E631428.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 2:17 AM, Ben Ellison said:

Is med trio considered fry safe?

I came here looking to find out this very thing. A pair of apistos I am quarantining decided it was a good time to lay eggs after being int he tank for like 3 days. Here I am now a few weeks later with tiny fry swimming around. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 2:17 AM, Ben Ellison said:

Is med trio considered fry safe?

A molly I bought from a LFS had fry then died while in quarantine with the med trio (literally day 1) and the fry survived and are thriving. There were only 3 babies when I found them. Two have made it this far! 

• Thanks 1