Making feeding easy while I’m gone

Clovis

Hi everyone. 

I will be gone over Xmas for 12 days and having a friend with zero experience feeding my tank. Photo below. 

It is stocked with 2 sparking gourami, 3 Amanno shrimp and 5 pygmi Cory’s. also a few snails. 

I would like to make the feeding as infrequent and easy as possible.

Could I put one of those block things in to cover the shrimp, Cory’s and snail and have just some food added for the gouramis? If they were fed every 3-4 days would that be ok?

Thanks 

BDD1646E-9D83-4D84-BA8D-017B72A85516.jpeg

• Like 1

Your fish will pick at any vacation feeder. I don't recommend them honestly. You can put your normal feedings into a pill organizer for your help to just put food in for everyone. You can get away with lighter and/or more infrequent feedings while you're away. It'll help keep you water clean while you're gone, too. If you do use the organizer, and feed every few days, don't up the amount of food per feeding much, if at all. Your tank grows food on it's own and you want the tank to keep up with waste while you're gone. 

If you get an auto feeder, I would set it up ASAP so you can dial it in before you go. You don't want to foul the water with too much food waste or be feeding enough to need a water change while you're gone.

• Like 5

Is that a fluval flex 9 or 15? If so, I don't think those auto feeders hang onto them very well and I wouldn't want to remove the lid. I have a flex 9. I also agree that @lefty o's advice is good. I would keep the feedings in separate baggies. I could imagine the pill strip accidentally opening up other feeding sections when dumping that days worth. 

• Like 1