Urgent! Mystery snail eggs

James V.

I’m so excited! I was going to clean one of my tanks when I found a Clutch of Mystery Snail eggs! I haven’t cleaned the tank in a while so the water level got low enough I guess!

The only problem is, I don’t know what I should do now? Do I remove them? How do you remove them? What do you put them in? And anything else I need to know should help a lot!

You can remove and place them in a damp papertowel if you want to keep them and then place in a container and keep moist. You can also leave them in the tank just dont flood them when you add more water ( I left a small clutch in my tank and now have 17 new mystery snails roaming around). They are easy to move by hand by lightly pulling them away from the edge of the tank or you can use a razor.  I have also seen where people drop them into a breeder box before they hatch as the snails will eat the clutch for nutrients when they hatch. 

Depending on the size of the clutch you can be looking at 11-100 new snails if they all hatch , which can cause a bacteria bloom once the snails start growing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marnol D said:

You can remove and place them in a damp papertowel if you want to keep them and then place in a container and keep moist.

Like this?

43B09DE2-7DB7-46CB-9FC1-F8EC83C5A759.jpeg.5f3734039c254d897785bb40e5865e19.jpeg

is this right? Should I have holes in the lid? How long until they hatch? I have seen people float these containers, should I do that?

sorry for all the questions 🤣 I’m excited 

• Like 1

@James V.

thatll work and you can float as that will speed up hatching time if the water is warm. It can be 9 days to 3 weeks+ for them to hatch just make sure they dont dry out. I dont think air holes will be mandatory unless you want to use PLASTIC WRAP to cover it instead of destroying your lid. Just keep them moist. 

• 2 weeks later...

Help Again! 
so I have been checking on the eggs every day and last night they started to turn grey and tonight I checked and they are even more grey and they are soft now! Are they ready to hatch? Here is a picture of both sides 

57956EA2-F758-422E-BE92-AD6F13B58755.jpeg.9444e0212768741cfa7cc11953520b01.jpeg8DC488D1-0C06-44B8-A212-119EE0F7236B.jpeg.7011701b7ce16700caf905a574281f9c.jpeg

So what do I do! How do I help they hatch what should I put them in? please help im very exited and very inexperienced.

41 minutes ago, James V. said:

So what do I do! How do I help they hatch what should I put them in? please help im very exited and very inexperienced.

That’s exactly how I was.

yea, they look ready to me.

i would check YouTube, Rachel O’Leary has a couple of great videos and shows you how to break them up.

my new babies are about a week old now. 🥰🥰

• Like 1

Hello everyone! Just thought I would give a day three update.

here they are012C437C-C698-4E70-A2BC-C9A4F65A40BA.jpeg.ab997fc757c61ea80b7542b03ab6d695.jpeg

they had a HUGE growth spurt yesterday and now instead of being microscopic there are Super tiny 🤣.

I think they are going to be golden when they grow up, they have a light color foot and there shells are a little yellow color with black spots.

When I took this photo I was counting them and I counted 64 snails. Which is good for me, I didn’t really want hundreds and this seems more manageable.

(I actually have more than 64 because I found some baby snails on the bottom of the tank the rest were floating in, so I might have like ten more than 64)

• Like 2