Shrimp vs fish

LOKelly

I have searched but I can't find a definitive answer to this one. My blue tetras carpet bombed the java moss with eggs. The moss is the primary hang out for my neocardina shrimp. Is there any chance of survival for the eggs? I can't find anything regarding the likelihood of these shrimp eating them.

On 11/25/2021 at 10:32 AM, LOKelly said:

I have searched but I can't find a definitive answer to this one. My blue tetras carpet bombed the java moss with eggs. The moss is the primary hang out for my neocardina shrimp. Is there any chance of survival for the eggs? I can't find anything regarding the likelihood of these shrimp eating them.

I'm not sure where the forum/90's chat rooms went, but many breeders have increased yields by keeping shrimp in egg/fry grow out tanks.

The shrimp do an infinitely better job than us humans at turning eggs that need to be turned, and keeping mold, fungus or bacteria from wiping out a clutch, with zero need for methylene blue.

For new breeding pairs of fish that hadn't yet developed good parental instincts, I used to breed the parents and remove them as soon as they indicated they were going to eat eggs or fry.

The shrimp had zero problems with picking up nanny duties. Only fish that didn't increase survival rates was my discus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1