how should i scape this tank?

tzahroxi

Ever since i finished the scape for this 10 gallon ive just hated it. I designed it on the table and it looked good but when translating it to the tank i just cant stand it. i thought i would try a light colored substrate for once but i can never get all the debris vacuumed out without harming my plants (killed 3 successful pink flamingo crypts this way 😰). im planning to move out the embers into my 40 community tank along with the snails and shrimp that i brought in from my 40 originally. i was wanting to try an nutrient rich instead of root tabs in inert substrate. im planning to add the newest betta i got into the tank once he is done with quarantine and the tank is ready.

IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5647.jpg

I like a triangle layout with the highest point I the top left lowest in the bottom right. You could put that impressive piece of stone on the left and the smaller pieces sort of falling off to the right. Some wood would look good with this style too. I make at least one section on the left for tall stem plants, you could plant them in a raised area of enriched substrate and then do low plants or epiphytes in the rest of the space. Here’s a pic from ADA with a general idea of the triangle style. 

8F539B2E-15D8-4A8C-A884-5571B000901D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 1:39 PM, Patrick_G said:

I like a triangle layout with the highest point I the top left lowest in the bottom right. You could put that impressive piece of stone on the left and the smaller pieces sort of falling off to the right. Some wood would look good with this style too. I make at least one section on the left for tall stem plants, you could plant them in a raised area of enriched substrate and then do low plants or epiphytes in the rest of the space. Here’s a pic from ADA with a general idea of the triangle style. 

8F539B2E-15D8-4A8C-A884-5571B000901D.jpeg

do you think i could incorporate this piece, its rather large and would take up 2/3 of the tank. i plan to trim it down to make more room. just waiting on my roommate to grab his old vine clippers

IMG_5651.jpg

• Like 1

I always end up with the random mess approach; the tanks start out with  a plan but then things happen - plants grow willy nilly; fishes move things around and in the end i end up with a random mess. Of course the tanks will never win any awards but the fishes seem to do ok - and really the only complaint with this approach is that if your looking for one specific fish it will hide somewhere and you will never be able to find it.

w29_nov_11.jpg.bffdedcd3b692894f304d11758356232.jpg

Not a great picture - here is a better one taken just now:

29w_new.jpg.4dd6e20e67660857eeebf8505734ea54.jpg

Anyway the problem with answering your question - is the scape depends on what you want and what I want might not be the same as what you want....

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 12:03 PM, tzahroxi said:

do you think i could incorporate this piece, its rather large and would take up 2/3 of the tank. i plan to trim it down to make more room. just waiting on my roommate to grab his old vine clippers

Oh yeah! That’s an amazing piece. I see lots of possibilities using that and the large aquascaping stone you have. 

On 11/24/2021 at 4:11 PM, Patrick_G said:

Oh yeah! That’s an amazing piece. I see lots of possibilities using that and the large aquascaping stone you have. 

what kind of substrate should i use. ive tried flourite and eco complete and hated them. its so harsh on delicate roots