Inkbird Questions

dmurray407

I got my Inkbird (I got the wifi one) and am kind of bummed out that I can only use it with 2.4GHz and I run everything in my house on 5G. I set my phone to the 2G network (I have both available) and I can't connect the device for whatever reason (likely user error. Does anyone know if I can use it in manual mode or should I just send it back and get a manual one?

You may need to put your router into legacy mode. Lots of 2.4GHz devices get confused by modern routers when both antenna are on. I've always been able to solve the problem by temporarily disabling the 5 GHz radio, but I can't speak to the Inkbird specifically.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 12:52 PM, Schwack said:

You may need to put your router into legacy mode.

I'm going to try just running it manually-I like my 5G for everything else in my house. I was able to program it manually. I haven't plugged my heater into it yet, so we'll see.

Let me know if you need more help. I run over a hundred access points for work. I provide one 5 GHz SSID with all the modern features and channels enabled. I run a secondary 2.4 GHz SSID with legacy features to support older devices.

In home environments, I might use a single SSID with band-steering to push modern clients to 5 GHz.

I don’t do mixed networks in high-density environments, because 2.4 will be ‘louder’, with more bars, even if it provides less bandwidth. There are many non-interfering 5 GHz channels, but only three for 2.4 GHz.

• Love 1

On 11/13/2021 at 3:14 PM, Streetwise said:

a secondary 2.4 GHz SSID with legacy features

Would use a separate router to do that? I have the option of 2 or 5 GHz on my current setup and I can sign on to either one when I'm hooking up a device, but the Inkbird didn't give me the option-are 2 and 2.4 GHz the same thing? I've been thinking about getting a better router anyway (so I could use my old one for my "legacy channel")-I bought mine from my internet provider several years ago and I think it's pretty crappy. I'm looking at a NightHawk they have at Costco.

• Like 1